• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Silly question - maybe - but ......

I have an HTC Desire which I purchased online with an Orange SIM contract.

HTC messed up when I downloaded the 2.2 android update (wifi knocked out) so I eventually called them and it was sent for repair.

Finally got the phone back yesterday - yay! - put in my Orange SIM, fired it up and IT WAS LOCKED TO THE O2 NETWORK :eek:. Called HTC and they said I should have been told they would flush the hard drive and it would wipe everything (they did tell me this BUT I had NO idea that the phone had been unlocked in the first place by the company I bought it thru!). Called company I bought it through and they suggested I take it to a market stall to have it unlocked and they would refund me the cost.

Having tried HTCcode and not yet receiving the code :mad: I have been looking at alternative geniune routes to unlocking but to be honest I don't know if I need to try approach Orange (my SIM) or O2 (what the phone's locked to)?

Any help much appreciated

Kay

where did you buy it from? if you bought it on contract then they are responsible
flashing the RUU wouldnt re invoke the network security lock.
sounds like HTC have changed the phone and sent a reconditioned o2 unit

Hi - I got a refund from the code company as they tried to charge me a further $15 as its a new phone (bought September 2010) and therefore it needs a new type of code :thinking:

I bought the phone from mobiles . co . uk an affiliate of carphone warehouse. They were the ones who told me to get it unlocked at a market or shop offering unlocking and then send them the bill for a refund.

I did buy it on contract from the above and I assume it was them who originally unlocked the phone (unbeknown to me!) - I don't think HTC have sent me a reconditioned one, it looks exactly like mine including marks on casing etc.

Now I'm back to square one trying to get it unlocked :mad: but at least I have been refunded my original $20 so respect to HTCcodes for that.

The only thing I am now wondering is if the market/shop offering unlocking will have the codes available as HTCcodes are telling me that they have exclusive access to these new codes and no one else can unlock it???

Kay

Upvote 0
I thought mobiles.co.uk were unbranded as with carphone warehouse.

When you turn on the phone, is there an O2 splash screen? if so, sounds like they have put the wrong ROM on. If not, it still shouldn't be sim locked.

If its unbranded it should be unlocked too. Especially if sold by Mobiles.co.uk. They don't get locked handsets then unlock them. they buy them in unlocked and unbranded surely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones