• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SIM card disabled on boot

Ksoramaum

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
I recently switched my phone over to a new carrier, and have been doing basic tests throughout the day. I can make phone calls, send and receive texts, the works. However, when I got around to testing the mobile data, I noticed that the 4GLTE connection turned off as soon as I turned the WiFi off. I still had connectivity bars, but I couldn't access mobile data. I looked into that, and it was suggested that I restart my phone and try again.

Now here's where it gets fun. As soon as I rebooted my phone, it gave me the error message, "SIM card is from an unknown source," or something to that effect. Now, suddenly I can't send texts or make calls anymore, but I can receive them, and I still can't access mobile data. So on a whim, I decided I'd try removing the SIM card and putting it back in while the phone was still on and voila, it was working again.

So the original issue was that I can't use mobile data (which still hasn't been solved), but that's been superseded by this new problem. I've tested it multiple times, and it consistently refuses to acknowledge my SIM card every time I restart my phone until I remove and reinsert it.

Phone: Droid Maxx
Carrier: T-Mobile

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones