• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sim card error

Just an update to the sim card issue. I'm continuing to have this issue multiple times weekly, it actually happened during a phone call the other day and cut me off. This of course is on my second DNA after exchanging my first for other issues, see this thread http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-dna/672225-call-quality.html Beyond that I'm still having the issue with the mic and other software bugs, worse battery life after the OTA update and an issue where I lost just my data connection the other day (had to reboot to fix). This phone truly has me at my wits end and I'm considering selling it out right and getting something else. My question to all of you is what is a fair price for this phone if I were sell it. I'm very disappointed after putting all my faith in HTC and this handset considering how great my last HTC device was (OG Incredible). As far as getting a different device on Verizon I wouldn't know what to get, I don't think they are currently carrying a device that is as good as this device on paper and don't feel I can go back to a dual core phone or less than a 1080p display. Anything new on the horizon from big red? sgs4? DNA+? Thanks in advance...

Upvote 0
I posted a few weeks back about airplane mode....its true just a workaround for 'now' .....I had 50+ sim errors in 2-3 days and said F***k it im gonna pull the sim w a paper clip....

No cleaning, blew on it for good luck(if your old you remember blowing on old Nintendo game cartridges to fix the frozen game) and reinstalled....

Not a problem at all past 2-3 days. Dealing w microvoltage and authentication.

Upvote 0
Id say 10-15% of swapped eqpt at verizon actually addresses the issues on any equipt. Its the final straw for 'we dont know' or we dont know how to fix it or for alot of reps - its a practice they are used to doing to make customer calm down (most of em feel good getting their 'bad phone' swapped lol) ...the rep knows it aint gonna fix it...they just do it to put on a show and MOVE on to a legit customer. I suggest all noobs reading this thread pop your sim and reinstall instead of blaming eqpt/reps and companies for the bad experience.

Upvote 0
Had this happening to me for a couple months now. finally got off my lazy butt and came to the forum. Went to VZW two weeks ago for the sim card switch. it's been perfect ever since. I hope I'm not just lucky and it stays good. My phone is for work and when I would realize I had no service it would kill me. Thousand voicemails and missed calls. So I'm hoping the sim swap has done it for me. But reading some of your posts it looks like I might be on borrowed time.

Upvote 0
Glad to see this finally. Only bug I have noticed on my phone.

Maybe it's just me but I'm finding this phone almost too buggy to be something I could ever recommend. There's the SIM issue, then mine also randomly turns off the wifi and 4G if the phone's been dormant for a while or the battery is low. And I can't stream audio/radio with the screen off. It stops playing until I turn the screen on again (the app will say the connection was lost or "buffering" which tells me the phone is throttling data in standby mode) so if I want to listen long-term to some online music, I gotta plug the phone up or keep tapping the screen to keep it from timing out. Then there's the fact it won't stay connected to my 5 GHz wifi network at home

Upvote 0
Maybe it's just me but I'm finding this phone almost too buggy to be something I could ever recommend. There's the SIM issue, then mine also randomly turns off the wifi and 4G if the phone's been dormant for a while or the battery is low. And I can't stream audio/radio with the screen off. It stops playing until I turn the screen on again (the app will say the connection was lost or "buffering" which tells me the phone is throttling data in standby mode) so if I want to listen long-term to some online music, I gotta plug the phone up or keep tapping the screen to keep it from timing out. Then there's the fact it won't stay connected to my 5 GHz wifi network at home

Upvote 0
You need to be getting that thing replaced! I've only had the Sim issue. And I do all the other things you have mentioned without any issues whatsoever....

According to what I've seen online, all of these issues are not uncommon with HTC phones. I can overlook the 5 GHz issue easily enough so it's not a big deal. But if you search around there are others with similar problems.

The data during standby thing also (supposedly) affects multiple HTC models. If you're not having issues, you're not trying to use enough data while the phone screen is off. Try a high bitrate stream, or try using the phone as a file server (I use Solid Explorer's FTP feature.) There's some people talking about it for this and some other HTC models, saying even a custom ROM doesn't fix it.

If you wanna check it out, try finding a stream on TuneIn that's at least 160 kbps or better. Preferably even 320. These should stream on 4G easily and on most people's home wifi. And if it does while the screen's on, turn off the display and wait at least 1 minute. I bet yours will quit and buffer, too.

If you want to use the same station I just checked right now, go to By Location > North America > United States > Alabama > Birmingham > "100.1 | Fox-FM" as they have multiple streams from 32 kbps all the way up to 128 kbps in AAC and mp3. The 128 one won't play but the 64 kbps AAC one will.

With Solid Explorer, when transferring large files I get around 6.0 MB/s transfer rate according to the FTP program on my PC. As soon as the screen times out, it drops to about 0.1 MB/s. This is over a local LAN wifi.

Here's the kicker: before I bought the phone, I played with the DNA at a corporate store and streamed via the TuneIn app, which is of course included stock on the phone. The screen timeout was set to something like 30 seconds or 1 minute, and it quit when the screen went off while I was letting it play. I figured at the time it was just a poor LTE signal but now I know it's the phone! So that's at least two of these I know for sure do this.

The way around it is to pick a lower bitrate stream - 32 kbps AAC or setting Google Music to not use high quality for streams. That seems to solve the issue. I doubt most people would even notice since most streams for cellular are so bit-starved to begin with. But high quality stuff, like Google Music set to HQ, will make this problem show up. Try it!

I suppose I could complain to VZW but it's well past the 14 day trial period, so I dunno what I could get that wouldn't cost me more money. These issues are annoying but they're not deadbreakers. The SIM issue is the major issue, and it's supposedly being fixed. So if they knock that one off the list, I think I can live with it "as is" otherwise.

Upvote 0
I've had no more SIM errors (crosses fingers) since the update, but I've also figured out why my wifi and 4g are cutting off, too. After noting the times it happens, I've discovered that a) it only happens after midnight and b) more quickly happens if the phone is face down.

Turns out, Sense 4 has something called "HTC SmartSync" which disables your data connections, but only between the hours of midnight and 7am. It also disables them quicker if the phone is face down. If it's on charge, this doesn't happen.

I know, right? And worst of all, it cannot be disabled in settings. It's allegedly-supposedly-reportedly being taken out of Sense 5 so if we ever get that update, my problems will disappear.

I had no idea when I got the phone that it didn't like being a night owl like me. ;)

Upvote 0
I still had simcard error & worse a puk lock even after the update. However, I came across another forum and found a solution. Clean the simcard's contacts either with canned air to blow out any debris or use alcohol and put Scotch tape on back of SIM. This would tighten the fit of the simcard in it's slot and thus improved the phone's sim contacts. This removed the puk lock I had without having to get another simcard and signal is working great again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones