1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SIM card not reading, will not connect to network after water damage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fionafoster, Jun 21, 2011.

1. fionafoster

fionafoster Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    My phone was water damaged a few days ago and I have been soaking it in rice for the past 48 hours. I tried to turn it on today and the SIM card will still not read. I can turn on the phone, use everything on the phone but the phone will not connect to the network and does not recognize my SIM card even though it is in. The SIM card works in other phones so it is not the SIM that is the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem? Should I buy a new phone, keep soaking it in rice, or what? :(

Advertisement

2. dustinfreeman

dustinfreeman Lurker
    None

Aug 10, 2011
    I'm bumping this post because I have a similar problem, with my Nexus S.

I expertly disassembled my phone and put it in rice as soon as I could. It sat in there for 5 days. When I turned it on again, everything worked completely fine (USB, wifi, gps). It even identified different SIM cards when I put it in. So I know it can detect SIM cards, unlike the description above. However, it does not detect any mobile networks, or data (i.e. Edge, 3G) networks. I'm on Mobilicity in Canada.

When I ask it to search for Network operators in Mobile Network Settings, it either looks forever, or doesn't find anything.

Suggestions? Is there a way to diagnose if my antenna is f'd?

I obviously voided the warranty (the water damage sticker is ruined), but is there some where I can send it to get just the mobile antennas replaced?

Thanks.