• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sim not inserted

lbhgaz

Lurker
Dec 23, 2012
Hello all.

I've had my nexus 4 since 9.12.12 I've finally come to use it now the case has arrived.

The problem I'm having is it wont recognise my sim card. I'm on 3 (uk (contract)) when I insert the micro sim in and turn on the phone it still says no sim.

I put in a giffgaff sim (payg) and it recognises it straight away.

Where am i going wrong?

I have a similar issue with my Nexus 4 and 3UK Sim.

Whenever I switch SIM card for Three UK the handset fails to register with, despite finding '3 UK' as part of all available networks.

I have:

* Rebooted
* Airplane On/Off
* Radio Off/On
* Removed SIM PIN

Interestingly, when the SIM PIN is active, on the replacement SIM, the Nexus never asks for the PIN, but when I put the original SIM back into the handset the Nexus does ask for that SIMs PIN.

When I reinsert my original SIM into the Nexus 4 it registers OK.

When I place other SIM into iPhone it registers OK.

I have not yet reset to factory settings as I don't want to have to do this every time I swap SIMs.

Upvote 0
Strange that switching SIMs produces issues ..

Re the original issue, I agree with most of the posts above: you should take the phone and SIM to a 3 store and have them replace the SIM.

Phones get locked to networks, but SIMs don't get locked to phones as the networks want you using their service as much as possible - or rather, as much as you can pay for!

Upvote 0
This is the error message I get:

3uka.png

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue with my Nexus 4 and 3UK Sim.

Whenever I switch SIM card for Three UK the handset fails to register with, despite finding '3 UK' as part of all available networks.

I have:

* Rebooted
* Airplane On/Off
* Radio Off/On
* Removed SIM PIN

Interestingly, when the SIM PIN is active, on the replacement SIM, the Nexus never asks for the PIN, but when I put the original SIM back into the handset the Nexus does ask for that SIMs PIN.

When I reinsert my original SIM into the Nexus 4 it registers OK.

I would suggest taking the phone and SIM to a 3 store and try a replacement. You say the N4 works fine with other SIMs, so it looks like the problem is with the 3UK SIM rather than the phone.

If I misunderstood and the problem is with all SIMs in the N4, then you may have a dodgy one and need to get Google to replace it. They're apparently quite good at doing that.

I'm on T-Mob and my N4 recognised the new SIM (had to get a new SIM as my old one was regular size) immediately, no problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones