• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sim reader fried?

Sandra03

Lurker
Nov 17, 2013
Hi guys, hoping someone will recognize my issue and know if and how it can be fixed.
Lately any time I go somewhere with no service (like a subway) it takes a crazy long time for the phone to find service again, and sometimes it just doesn't. If I turn the phone off and back on it usually picks up a signal and is fine.
But now the other night it just wouldn't find a signal after turning it off and on. I tried popping out the battery, I tried taking the sim out and putting it back in and then rebooting... Nothing. Wifi works, I can load apps etc but no cell signal, no data, and the date and time reverted back to like December. It's been a couple days and there's been no change. I went in to my provider and they tried a factory reset, didn't help. She tried putting a different SIM card in, no difference. She figures the sim reader is fried. I can send it away for repair, but the warranty is up so it would cost as much as a new phone. I'm ok with upgrading but the timing isn't good, cash is tight right now. If I can get it working for a couple weeks I'd be happy.

Also, hubby synced my contacts and apps etc, how do I retrieve them? I rarely ever sync it so I don't remember. I just have a few contacts and photos I'd like to save if I can, apps are no biggy since they were all freebies

Thanks

gee thanks :p

got my photos and contacts back, so yay for that. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get them back. no change with the phone but the battery is dying soooo fast now, I guess because it's constantly looking for service? I put it on airplane mode after I charged it up last night so it shouldn't have been, but it was almost dead when I got up this morning so I dunno. Guess I'm upgrading sooner than planned

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones