• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SIM Unlock Issue

It will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile. I just made a call on AT&T...
...So I followed the recommendations in earlier posts in this thread...
So did I. Tell me what I do wrong? I go to Security->Disable SIM lock, enter the unlock code. Now if I try to do it again it says "Sim lock disabled". Then I try to switch it to GSM mode it says "There is no Sim card in you device, switch to CDMA".
All I learned from your post, that it worked for you but you have no idea how.

Upvote 0
why would you want to put a really good phone on Turd Mobile's network in the US anyways? Turd Mobile is horrible in my state.

Actually my iphone is on Straight Talk $45 unlimited. I put my Dinc 2 on it as long as I get it able to accept any US Sim.

BTW you probably happy with Verizon... Cannot blame. But I quit from that crap decades ago and never regret. :)

Upvote 0
Now if I try to do it again it says "Sim lock disabled". Then I try to switch it to GSM mode it says "There is no Sim card in you device, switch to CDMA".
All I learned from your post, that it worked for you but you have no idea how.

No, I know how it worked. I followed the directions exactly. If you did the same and it didn't work, then there's another problem.

Why did you try to re-enter the SIM unlock code if you've already disabled it? I can see where that might throw an error. Also, when you enter the unlock code, you should have the VZW SIM installed. I'm fairly certain the unlocking won't work with another vendor's SIM in the slot. Try replacing it if you haven't already.

Next, assuming that you've correctly removed the SIM lock, here's what I did:

1. Select Settings>Call>Preferred Network>GSM/UMTS Mode.
  2. In the GSM/UMTS dialog, select GSM/UMTS Dual.
  3. (Optional) After the phone switches radios, you now have the GSM Call Settings item enabled. Select any of these, as needed.

If you can't complete the first step above, then the SIM card hasn't been properly unlocked.

why would you want to put a really good phone on Turd Mobile's network in the US anyways?
Normally, I would not. But I often travel to areas where VZW's coverage isn't as good as at home. I like the ability to choose between all three major GSM carriers as the need arises. I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. ;)

Reactions: daftlush
Upvote 0
...If you can't complete the first step above, then the SIM card hasn't been properly unlocked...

You cannot unlock a card. Sim unlock means providing GSM phone an ability to work with any other GSM carrier. (unlocking device for other sim cards)
Next. What do you mean saying "not properly unlocked"?*
It's either locked or not. As long as it gives a message "Sim lock disabled" means it's unlocked. Isn't it obvious?*
And from that point your Dinc 2 should be able to switch to GSM mode and accept other carrier SIMs... *Non US carrier SIMs outside of US.
That's what any Verizon rep will tell you.

P.S. http://www.droid-life.com/2010/11/17/verizon-blocking-att-gsm-bands-on-droid-2-global/

Upvote 0
You cannot unlock a card.

Yes, you can. I have one on my C&W SIM: Setting a SIM card lock (and why you want to) | Android Central

However, of course I was referring to the ability to unlock the phone to accept a SIM from other carriers. Verizon itself labels the item we were discussing "Disable SIM Card Lock". That's misleading itself, IMO, but why parse words? I think everyone so far knows what we're discussing in this thread. :mad:

Next. What do you mean saying "not properly unlocked"?*
It's either locked or not. As long as it gives a message "Sim lock disabled" means it's unlocked. Isn't it obvious?*

Good grief. More word parsing. Simple troubleshooting will tell you that the problem either lies with the phone or the SIM. If indeed the phone was actually unlocked (no matter what message you got) and you followed the above procedure then the phone should work with a different SIM. Apparently it's not working. So either there is a problem with the SIM in this instance or the phone itself isn't really unlocked. I have no idea and, at this point, I don't really care. I was just trying to help you by providing another perspective from someone who has been able to use different SIMs.

And to that point, I just borrowed a co-worker's iPhone4 AT&T SIM. Popped it in the Dinc2, switched to GSM, et voila. Made a call to my desk phone, no problem.

Perhaps someone else can provide information more to your liking. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
"HTC DROID Incredible 2 - ADR6350VW SIM Unlock Instructions

If customer has a Verizon Wireless SIM card in the Device:
Generate SIM Unlock code through GuardedLink
Go to: Settings -> Security -> Disable SIM card lock + Enter
Enter the SIM Unlock code when prompted.

If customer has non-Verizon Wireless SIM card in the Device:
Generate SIM Unlock code through GuardedLink
Have the customer power cycle the device
Enter the SIM Unlock code when prompted (This will occur when device is powering up)

Our # is 800-711-8300 if you need further Global assistance."

Upvote 0
Yes, you can. I have one on my C&W SIM: Setting a SIM card lock (and why you want to) | Android Central

However, of course I was referring to the ability to unlock the phone to accept a SIM from other carriers. Verizon itself labels the item we were discussing "Disable SIM Card Lock". That's misleading itself, IMO, but why parse words? I think everyone so far knows what we're discussing in this thread. :mad:

Good grief. More word parsing. Simple troubleshooting will tell you that the problem either lies with the phone or the SIM. If indeed the phone was actually unlocked (no matter what message you got) and you followed the above procedure then the phone should work with a different SIM. Apparently it's not working. So either there is a problem with the SIM in this instance or the phone itself isn't really unlocked. I have no idea and, at this point, I don't really care. I was just trying to help you by providing another perspective from someone who has been able to use different SIMs.

And to that point, I just borrowed a co-worker's iPhone4 AT&T SIM. Popped it in the Dinc2, switched to GSM, et voila. Made a call to my desk phone, no problem.

Perhaps someone else can provide information more to your liking. Have a nice day.
Are you in the USA?

Upvote 0
I am writing this from London, where I just got my Droid Incredible 2 to work with a local Vodafone SIM. Here is what I did:

Before leaving the U.S., I called Verizon Global Services and got the unlock code. I then went to Settings --> Security --> Disable SIM card lock and entered the code. I did this with the Verizon SIM still in the phone. (The Verizon person told me all I had to do was put in the foreign SIM and it would ask for the code. But after reading this thread, I thought it was best to do it this way.)

After arriving in London, I went to a Vodafone store and bought a prepaid SIM card for 10 GBP that came with a 500MB data allowance valid for 30 days. Put it in my phone, switched the Preferred Network setting to "GSM/UTMS Mode," and when I got a signal, I followed the Vodafone employee's instructions to get it set up. After this, I had voice service, but no data service ... so I took it back to Vodafone and told them the problem. Another employee went into Settings --> Mobile Network Settings --> GSM/UTMS Options and added their access point name. Now it works!

Thanks for all the earlier helpful comments -- I don't think I could have gotten this to work without them!:)

Reactions: am_beagle
Upvote 0
I was told the same thing -- that an "unlock SIM" screen would pop up the first time I inserted a foreign SIM card while outside of the Verizon network.

Well, I went to my own "foreign" country earlier today -- the machine room in my basement where there is no Verizon service -- and I never saw an "unlock SIM" screen during multiple reboots of the phone.

So I called up Global Customer Support again, and I spoke to a customer rep who actually believed me. He went and rounded up a Dinc2, then tried a third-party SIM in it. He wasn't able to get the illusive "unlock SIM" screen himself. So we both walked through the various menus, and decided to give the Settings:Security a try.

Sure enough, under Settings:Security, there is a menu item for "Disable SIM card lock". Choose that menu item and then type in your MEP code that Verizon gave you. Hit OK, and the phone will reboot.

I just confirmed that my phone works just fine with my Virgin Mobile SIM.

BTW, unlike my VZW Touch Pro 2, which works fine in the US with an AT&T SIM card in it, my Dinc2 will not see a network with the same AT&T SIM inserted in it.

Can someone please help me with where to find the MEP code or any other means to get my Driod Incredible 2 unlocked and worked here in Gnana(West Africa)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately when I do this... it gives a message "SIM lock disabled." Fortunately I know why... I unlocked SIM before entering this forum.

Again. My problem is: After unlocking SIM I try to switch to GSM mode. It says "There is no SIM card on your device. Your device will switch to CDMA mode now". I tried number of working SIMs of other people phones... No success.
Any help appreciated.

I'm having a problem unlocking the SIM. I have Incredible 2 unlock by code ( 8 digi)

ON HTC incredible 2

Settings:Security, there is a menu item for "Disable SIM card lock". + enter unlock code

but after enter unlock code , Incredible 2 will reboot

My problem is: After unlocking SIM I try to switch to GSM mode. It says "There is no SIM card on your device. Your device will switch to CDMA mode now". I tried number of working SIMs of other people phones... No success.

Change Simcard ( GSM) , turn on Htc incredible 2 , Settings>Call>Preferred Network>GSM/UMTS Mode always show "There is no SIM card on your device. Your device will switch to CDMA mode now"

I go to Settings - >Security->Disable SIM lock. It says "Sim lock disabled"

I can't make a call , i can't use GSM/UMTS mode ,I'm not in US

I live in Vietnam .
I try Xtc clip unlock my Incredible 2 but doesn't work

Some of people on forum met same problem as I , but there has been no solution for this ?

Upvote 0
Hello all,

Am new to this forum and to the world of phones that do not work the way I wish they would.

I am reading and re-reading and I still need to figure out some of the tech talk on the posts above and hopefully get a way to easily unlock my phone without much trouble.
Goals:

• Be able to switch SIMs without breaking back plastic cap on Droid that they really should have made better but oh well.
  • Get off plane (having earned more miles or burned more miles)
  • Put in new SIM.
  • Have ability to do calls (not nec. care yet about texts and do not yet care about what phone number I am using when overseas).
  • Have data usage/Web and email --- and ability to post on FB.
  • Return home without massive bill or loss in warrantee or other phone features/settings, etc.
  • Not have to have paid big charges and costs when trying to find wireless overseas.
Background noise:

A friend told me about Droids and HTC phones and while he has T-Mobile, I got mine with existing VZN contract. I also have the fat battery and while this makes the phone last a bit longer without charge, when it comes to actual use, I now find things are not what they once were for overseas use of data.

For business reasons, I had taken a break from going overseas, but now I once again do a lot of overseas travel and my wife does even more. So my hope is to read here, learn what I can and actually have her take the phone on her next trip (like in 1-2 weeks from this posting) to the EU to test it out!

She could get a SIM over in EU and we could see what is possible with my new Droid Incredible2.

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem unlocking the SIM. I have Incredible 2 unlock by code ( 8 digi)

Settings:Security, there is a menu item for "Disable SIM card lock". + enter unlock code

but after enter unlock code , Incredible 2 will reboot

My problem is: After unlocking SIM I try to switch to GSM mode. It says "There is no SIM card on your device. Your device will switch to CDMA mode now".

Change Simcard ( GSM) , turn on Htc incredible 2 , Settings>Call>Preferred Network>GSM/UMTS Mode always show "There is no SIM card on your device. Your device will switch to CDMA mode now"

I go to Settings - >Security->Disable SIM lock. It says "Sim lock disabled"

I can't make a call , i can't use GSM/UMTS mode ,I'm not in US

I have the same problem. Unlock code entered, phone accepted, rebooted and unlocked but now will not recognize a sim card...not even the verizon card that came with the phone. A coworker claimed he had a similar issue and had to do a hard restart. I did that but it still does not recognize any sim is installed.

I am in Afghanistan and not being able to communicate with family effectively. Verizon is not much help...

Upvote 0
I was able to get a Verizon corporate store to willingly tell me the number to call at Verizon wireless to unlock my phone. They handed me a number and when I called it was the tech support people but ones with more savvy. They texted me a code and minutes later my phone was now unlocked. Have yet to try it overseas but it should be ok. This was at the end of Sept.

Upvote 0
I have already tried a factory reset. That is what I meant by a hard restart. It did not help and the phone is still unlocked, yet not recognizing the sims. It also does not know it's own number and with no verizon signal and it not recognizing the verizon chip, I cannot even call verizon. It is looking like I just wasted my money and will have to try finding a decent global unlocked smartphone from amazon. I cannot access ebay due to government restrictions.

Upvote 0
No, I know how it worked. I followed the directions exactly. If you did the same and it didn't work, then there's another problem.

Why did you try to re-enter the SIM unlock code if you've already disabled it? I can see where that might throw an error. Also, when you enter the unlock code, you should have the VZW SIM installed. I'm fairly certain the unlocking won't work with another vendor's SIM in the slot. Try replacing it if you haven't already.

Next, assuming that you've correctly removed the SIM lock, here's what I did:

1. Select Settings>Call>Preferred Network>GSM/UMTS Mode.
  2. In the GSM/UMTS dialog, select GSM/UMTS Dual.
  3. (Optional) After the phone switches radios, you now have the GSM Call Settings item enabled. Select any of these, as needed.

If you can't complete the first step above, then the SIM card hasn't been properly unlocked.

Normally, I would not. But I often travel to areas where VZW's coverage isn't as good as at home. I like the ability to choose between all three major GSM carriers as the need arises. I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. ;)

Are you located at U.S.? Is it true that Verizon blocks T-mobile?
I just purchased a Verizon HTC incredible 2 and got an unlock code from verizon. I Disable SIM card lock with the code. However, when I insert my T-mobile SIM card, the phone still shows "No service". Please help! How do you get the t mobile to work?
I did switch Preferred Network to "GSM/UMTS Mode", it still shows "no service". I tried with my Simple Mobile SIM, again, it shows "no service". When I go to "Disable SIM card lock" under security, it clearly shows "SIM lock is disabled." but my phone will not work with other SIM card, someone please HELP!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones