1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

simple assistance/advice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by git3rdone, Sep 21, 2011.

1. git3rdone

git3rdone Lurker

You've heard it a thousand times but I am lost.. HELP.. Bought the M was bad .. got another one with a lot of yelling on my end. Wont replace any more. have tried for a week to post here. phone kept shutting off then get spammer error on forum. finally decided to use regular computer. I have read until blue in the face. can someone please help me understand what to do.. in laymans terms? I get lost in forums with the hundreds of responses. maybe do a simple sticky with no comments on exactly what to do. simple form? please... or I am gonna be out of a phone when I take my 21oz hammer to it if it cuts me off again.. I guess y'all call it root? and yes I tried software upgrade.. nope.. please and thank you sooo much. Dave

Advertisement

2. AndroidHogs

AndroidHogs Android Enthusiast

R u running 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 on ur android cause I read 2.2.2 cantbe rooted yet. Try gingerbreak to root ur phone if ur trying z4root its outdated.

3. pmb116

pmb116 Android Enthusiast

Go to settings<about phone and tell us what version of android are you running. It will either be 2.2,2.2.1 or 2.2.2.
    Please report back so we can help you. Also how long exactly have you had your phone?

4. git3rdone

git3rdone Lurker

It says 2.2.2 And per MPCS CSR after so many Hours on phone they stop replace and goes to fix. since no fix I am screwed....

5. undacova

undacova Android Enthusiast

So what exactly is your biggest issue? It randomly rebooting?

6. pmb116

pmb116 Android Enthusiast

He would like to root I think.

7. git3rdone

git3rdone Lurker

it reboots, freezes, is very slow, everytime I start an app it shuts down within minutes. specialy internet. my friend up north has this phone and it was much much better and faster! he said he had "tweaked" it? I was told by MPCS CSR that I cannot get a new one since last because I have to many minutes on this one. only repair. since no repair they have no options.. and I can't just up and buy new. I even tried different browser. Opera. help please?

8. git3rdone

git3rdone Lurker

sorry for delay I had to litterly find a wireless signal to use... and browser to get it to temporarily work. I should be installing my wireless today if time exists... thank you so very much for everything.

9. undacova

undacova Android Enthusiast

You will want to downgrade, root, flash a recovery, and then flash a rom.

You are on 2.2.2 which was supposed to fix the crashes. Cyanogenmod Rom will fix more crashes than metro could ever dream of.

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/415485-downgrade-lg-optimus-m-2-2-2-2-2-1-a.html

Then you can gingerbreak.

Use these instructions:
    http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...nally-custom-recovery-2-2-1-stock-phones.html
    But take the recovery from here:http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...rums&txt=CWM&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13166948592121

Once you get this far head over to all things root and look for a new rom, there are 3 different cyanogen roms to choose from.

git3rdone likes this.
  10. Kaos187

Kaos187 Newbie

Hold on 2.2 is different than 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 my head is starting to spin.

11. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert

Android 2.2 is the base version. The point 1 and point 2 are subsequent update versions of the same base code. The next version of Android is 2.3.

12. Kaos187

Kaos187 Newbie

so i dont have to downgrade to root/overclock/ROM my phone thank you.

13. Kaos187

Kaos187 Newbie

so i have the base version meaning that i dont have to downgrade to do the fun stuff.

14. storm86

storm86 Lurker

does the phone still have to be plugged in when u press root on z4root

15. storm86

storm86 Lurker

cause i started to root last night and it was still on the running exploit screen this morning

16. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert

If you have Android 2.2, no, you don't have to downgrade. You can use z4root or gingerbreak.

No, I didn't have my phone plugged in when I used z4root. It didn't take a long time though, either. I'm not sure why yours didn't work, unless it's not 2.2. If it's 2.2.1, you will need gingerbreak, preferably 1.2 (unless there's a newer version out that I'm unaware of). If 2.2.2, then you will need to follow the post previously mentioned about down grading to 2.2.1.

Tags: