• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Simple Guide to Defy Rom Flashing

Dark Spartan

Dec 13, 2011
Hey Guys

I've noticed a few people saying they can't flash a rom properly on there Defy, well today im going to show you how i did it

You will need:
Titanium Backup: Download from market (optional)
4shared: Download it from market
2ndinit: Download it from 4shared
SuperOneClick: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
A Rom: TheUnlockr | Archive | Motorola Defy ROMs

1. You need to root your phone. Go in to Settings>Applications>Development and enable USB Debugging. Now connect your phone to your computer. Run SuperOneClick and select Root. Now Just follow the Prompts and install BusyBox when Prompted. Unplug and Reboot.

2. Now Download 2ndinit from 4shared app (run 4shared then press the menu button then search 2ndinit). Once installed, run it and allow permissions. Install 2ndinit and when the LED turns green, Reboot. The LED will now turn blue and boot into the Bootmenu. If this occurs the installation was successful. Now select Boot and then Normal Boot, your Defy should Boot like normal.

3. Disable USB Debugging then connect to your computer. Download a Rom and place the zip file in your SD card. Now disconnect and run Titanium Backup, allow permissions. Select the Backup tab and press Menu Button>Batch. Scroll down to user apps + data and select run. Now you've backed up everything except for your rom.

4. Reboot and boot menu will appear automatically. Select Recovery>Custom Recovery. Now Clockworkmod will appear. Select Back up and restore>Backup. Now your rom is backed up. Go back to the Recovery Menu and wipe cache and factory reset. Now go to Clockworkmod and select install rom from SD card then select your .zip file. Now your Defy will reboot into your new rom.

5.If you backed up your apps and data, re-download Titanium Backup and restore everything.

if you have any questions just post them below.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your guide. Just wanted to ask a quick question. When you are using 2nd init, I know (or at least I think) that its very easy to brick it using that. Is this true? Because the Defy has a locked bootloader, I suppose it'll be harder to brick...but still...what do you think the % chance is ill brick it? Im always very paranoid, and, should the worst happen, wails there be a way to factory reset or something? Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones