1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Simple Question regaarding SMS in Android

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by filledvoid, Feb 2, 2014.

1. filledvoid

filledvoid Lurker
    None

Feb 2, 2014
    Hello all,
    Recently I was blessed with a Nexus V and been adapting towards using it. I'm enjoying the huge difference over my previous phone in functionality. However there is one feature I cannot avoid as my job requires alot of it.

I would like to be able to forward a number from my call log within a SMS to another number.

At the moment I have found the ability to do the above if the number in my call log is in my contact list. But alot of times this is not the case and there is no reason to do the same. Can anyone tell me if this is possible .

Summary

Access a number from my call log (Which is not in my contacts)
    Send the number through a SMS to another number which is in my contact list (sometimes these contacts may have more than one number and would be great if I can choose the number to send the sms to)
    Im using Nexus V which has Kit Kat 4.4.2 on it.

It does not matter if it is a paid or free application as long as it works I dont mind spending money on the application.

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Welcome to AF! :)

The only way I can see of doing it on my device is to add the number to my contact list (which is a bit of a cumbersome workaround).

I don't have a Nexus 5 though, so I'll move to the N5 forums to see if there's a way of doing it on that.

For the alternative dialler apps, take a look at Contacts +, that might do what you need it to.

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I'm not familiar with the Nexus 5's phone app, but have you tried a long press on the entry in your call log which you wish to forward. I'd expect that to pop up a menu of options, and on my HTC one of those is "copy number". If you select that, then go to your preferred message app (you don't have to use Hangouts) and compose a message to whoever you wish to send to, you can paste the copied number into the message (long press in text entry box and select "paste").

4. renegad3

renegad3 Well-Known Member
    None

May 9, 2013
    I dont know of any 'easy' way.

Go to your recent calls, tap on the one in question, brings up the call details page, click the menu button, select edit number before call, copy it, then go to your sms app and paste it to the desired contact.

5. chukka63

chukka63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2013
    Male
    General Builder
    Norfolk
    I'm pretty sure you can do it through handcent sms app but i'm pretty much a technophobe.

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I've got 4.4.2 on my N4 which I assume is pretty darn close to the N5.

Open the dialer and press the keypad icon. From there press the clock symbol for your call history. Find the number you want to forward, tap the number in the middle to bring up the details and press on the number until it highlights. If you press on the phone icon on the right, it will redial the number rather than take you to details, so don't do that. ;)

Once it's highlighted you will see a checkmark in the upper left and an icon like two sheets of paper in the upper right. Tap on the two sheets of paper to copy the number.

Now, press home and then open your text app. Tap + for new message and for contacts with multiple numbers, start typing their name. It will bring up all numbers for that contact so you can click on the number you want to use. Now long press in the text area and paste it in.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but I just did it a few times and it's pretty smooth. Gove it a try.

7. filledvoid

filledvoid Lurker
    None

Feb 2, 2014
    Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the suggestions. Ive gotten used to using another Call Log app which gives me the ability to send a contacts details directly from the call log as long as it is in my Contacts. For numbers that arent in my contacts list it seems I do have to use the Paste method but Ive gotten used to it now :) .

Thanks for the help.

Tags: