• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Simple Root .1 Three steps to Root EVO

Hi guys.

Really scratching my head on this.
So I got a new EVO which already had the OTA update on it.
I used the new SimpleRoot for OTA (same one on this post).
After this I noticed that my 4G did not appear to be working very well. (well the little icon said it was connected but the icon uptop stayed on "3G" and the app itself said "Scanning".

I updated the WiMax and 3g software (Sprint Lovers EVO), after it booted up the 4G still refuses to connect.
All was well with the 4g signal here in Salt Lake City before my update using SimpleRoot.

Anyone have any idea where my problem lies?

Thanks much for any advice

Sheldon

Upvote 0
Hi guys.

Really scratching my head on this.
So I got a new EVO which already had the OTA update on it.
I used the new SimpleRoot for OTA (same one on this post).
After this I noticed that my 4G did not appear to be working very well. (well the little icon said it was connected but the icon uptop stayed on "3G" and the app itself said "Scanning".

I updated the WiMax and 3g software (Sprint Lovers EVO), after it booted up the 4G still refuses to connect.
All was well with the 4g signal here in Salt Lake City before my update using SimpleRoot.

Anyone have any idea where my problem lies?

Thanks much for any advice

Sheldon

Ok it connected, took forever and says there is very poor WiMax signal here....which is interesting.
Before the flash when I was running the stock OTA firmware, 4g connected within 1-2 seconds and was blazing fast.
Now suddenly it says poor even outside and I have about half the bandwidth I had this morning.

Do you guys think this is just a coincidence and that the WiMax signal here at present just happened to fall flat today by chance, or has anyone else here experienced something similar?

Thanks again

Sheldon

Upvote 0
The OTA dicked up the 4G on a lot of phones even if they weren't rooted. Consult this:

How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!)

Note: This process will only work if you already have the engineering HBOOT. (If you have NAND unlocked, you already have it and can proceed confidently.) If you'd like to check the actual version, you can boot into HBOOT and look near the top of the screen: it should say HBOOT-0.76.2000, not 0.79.0000. If you have 0.79.0000, you will need to do Toast's Part 2 first before starting here.
Download this file, rename it PC36IMG.zip, and put it on the root of your SD card however you like.
PC36IMG-1.47.651.1_eng-hboot_RA-1.7.0.1.zip (md5=1ae574c403e9a2694de97706391255c0)
Power off your phone.
Hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons until the white screen appears.
HBOOT will scan the PC36IMG.zip file. You'll see a blue progress bar on the right side of the screen.
When it's finished scanning, it will ask if you want to start the update. Press the Volume Up button to answer Yes.
Wait a while for it to flash all the images.
If you get a "Fail-PU" error on the recovery image, see below.
When it finishes and asks if you want to reboot the device, press the Volume Up button to answer Yes.
After the phone has rebooted, delete the PC36IMG.zip file from your SD card.
Download this file to your SD card:
su-2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip (md5=a055c916168db7e61a75a37a13993cd6)
Power off your phone.
Hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons until the white screen appears.
If you forgot to delete PC36IMG.zip from your SD card, HBOOT will scan it again now. When it asks if you want to start the update, press Volume Down to answer No. When it asks if you want to reboot, press Volume Down again.
Now you should be at the HBOOT menu. Press Volume Down to move the selection to RECOVERY and press the Power button to select it.
In a moment, you'll be at a different looking menu.
Using the Volume and Power buttons as before, select "Flash zip from sdcard."
Select su-2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip from the list and follow the prompts to flash it.
When that's finished and you're back at the menu, choose "Reboot system now."
You should now have root, unlocked NAND, working WiMAX, and great battery life. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones