• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Simple Root instructions

Upvote 0
OK, lets see if I can help. You don't need a unzip utility for any of this. The .zip format files are to be copied to the root (base) directory of your sd card. The alternate recovery (program used by Android for install and maintenance of OS files) you will install with the updater. After the 2 initial flashes (OS and recovery) you won't need your pc except to copy over ffiles to the sd card. Keep in mind that it's been about 6 months since I last used a Moment.

1- D/L the cl14 installer and run its .exe on your pc
2- d/l SPH-M900_MR4_DJ07_REL.tar (rename if necessary) and place here-
C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary
(this directory was created when the installer was installed) make sure the dj07 file is the only file in that directory and has the .tar extension.
3- Run the installer program (not the install .exe you ran earlier) use the a SWupgrade link in the program menu. Follow the directions to connect and install the update. Once the updater has completed and the phone reboot..
4- Replace the DJ07 file in
C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary
with the recovery3_1_1.tar file you previously d/l
5- run the installer again and follow directions
6- Once both files have been flashed all your updating from now on will be done via the recovery program. Copy the template Moment - Theme files
and the root pack http://www.digitalintegrity.us/android/rootpack.zip to the sd card in your phone (via usb from your pc or d/l directly to the phone).
7- place the phone in recovery by pressing vol dn + talk _ end (power) simultaneously.
8- Scroll to the advanced options, select and then select clear dalvik. next select apply .zip, select rootpack.zip then clear Dalvik again then apply .zip and select the theme file. go back to the main menu and select boot to OS and you're done.
9- set up OS and install your apps OR d/l a rom in .zip form from Moment - Kernels, Kitchens and Roms and install by copying to the root of your sd card following the same directions we installed the rootpack and theme files.

Feel free to pm me if you're still having problems. I'll help out to the best of my abilities. I know this may seem daunting at first, but you will probably come to see it as very simple and basic in a short while. As long as you don't interrupt the update process by pulling a usb cable or battery at an inappropriate time, it is very hard to do any permanent damage. Good luck, and have fun!

Reactions: nickib
Upvote 0
Hey guys i recently rooted my phone and am running meatkernel 2.09 from SDX.Im very new to this and i just want to simply know how to root my phone.

you want to know how to root it
or
how to un-root it?

And as for your meatkernal thing, you might want to consider stepping up to the newer, more supported things.
I don't think any of the developers are still supporting the 2.1 platform.
We've all moved on to the 2.2 platform.

follow this write up to get to EB28 (which is android 2.2.2, HUGE upgrade from what you have now)
How To Root Your Samsung Moment (2.2.2 Froyo)

THEN
immediately flash a "full" EB28,
my personal favorite (at the moment) is KeyLime
here - [NEW UPDATE]KeyLime28 v3.3(5/28)

you can find more ROMs in that same section on that forum.

To Unroot, it depends on why you want/need to unroot?
You can use your SWUpdater to flash a stock version of DJ07, when it loads up the first time, it will shout at you that there are mandatory up dates. Do the up-dates and you'll have the latest version of DJ07 (which is totally stock)
If you need to take it back to sprint, then do that, and then yank out your SDcard. That's where the evidence is. Just make up some story about private info on there and you didn't want to loose the card.

Reactions: Momentman64
Upvote 0
These are the kinds of threads that piss me off. Where is the link?
You get sent to a general discussion forum that runs you in loops with no end. One word "Moron"
sdx seems to change links/delete links semi-frequently. Yes, it is frustrating, but it's not phil's fault. If the link takes you to the general Moment forum instead of the actual thread, try doing a search for the terms you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones