• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Simple unrEVOked 3 rooting for stock Incredible or Evo on 2.2

Yes, that's one of the most prevalent ones. The problem: The Android SDK has drivers, but they don't have the interfaces needed for the HTC phones. Enter HTC Sync, which has the same drivers but with the additional interfaces in their .INF files for Incredible and Supersonic (aka Evo). So you have people telling you to install HTC Sync to get those drivers, then uninstall HTC Sync (leaving the drivers) so it doesn't get in the way of the rooting process by binding to the phone when it's plugged into USB.
Rereading your other post, I got confused again - it says:
You do not have to remove HTC Sync if you have it installed. These drivers will replace the ones that came from HTC Sync and be usable for that as well as rooting. The trick is getting these drivers to replace the ones you have from the Android SDK or HTC Sync or ??? (or simply installing them if you have no drivers yet). The idea is to plug your phone into USB while it's in HBOOT mode, forcing Windows to look for Bootloader drivers. Only the ones here provide that.

Anyway, here's how:
Uninstall HTC Sync,
Which is it?
Also - here's a dumb question - I'm not familiar with IRC, but followed a link elsewhere to sign up for the correct channel. Didn't really understand what I was looking at :eek:, but there was a link at the top for the reflash.exe file, which I downloaded. It's a 23 MB file. Is there any way to check whether it is the correct version? On my desktop the version number reads 1.2.0.715 when I look at file properties. This looks very strange.

Upvote 0
Ok, been trying to do this for a while tonight. I install the "USB drivers" as listed, and when it finished, my phone shows in device manager as "Android Bootloader Interface".

So I follow the next steps, fine. Then when I plug my phone back into the computer with "charge only" selected as stated, I check back into Device manager and instead of "Android Bootloader Interface" it shows under "Android USB Devices" it says "My HTC" and won't let me update the driver again.

l tried running the "reflash.exe" anyway and I get the error "Not a 7-zip archive" and will not run.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I had a bad download, second one worked fine, Thanks!

Upvote 0
The second. The first appears to be one of my hastily typed IRC messages :)

The Reflash.exe (Windows Reflash) from that link is definitely the correct one (well it leads to a page that has the real ones for all OS). The IRC channel is operated by the unrEVOked team.
Thank you.

By the way, would you recommend a factory reset first? I haven't had any significant problems (at least, none that a factory reset is known to fix) after doing the OTA update on my DInc.

Upvote 0
Ok, been trying to do this for a while tonight. I install the "USB drivers" as listed, and when it finished, my phone shows in device manager as "Android Bootloader Interface".

So I follow the next steps, fine. Then when I plug my phone back into the computer with "charge only" selected as stated, I check back into Device manager and instead of "Android Bootloader Interface" it shows under "Android USB Devices" it says "My HTC" and won't let me update the driver again.

l tried running the "reflash.exe" anyway and I get the error "Not a 7-zip archive" and will not run.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I had a bad download, second one worked fine, Thanks!

I had the same problem last night, and it tooke me a few tries to figure it out, i had to uninstall all htc drivers first, then install the usb driver that are made for the hboot. I had the same issue with the device manager saying "Android Bootloader Interface' and then "Android USB Devices". After a few tries it came up as what it should say which is "Android Composite Adb Interface".

Upvote 0
I installed all the Drivers and my device manager says Android phone, ADB. I downloaded the Unrevoked 3.21 and it gives me the reflash package.exe file. I open it up and it has a big pop up box that says Unrevoked3, Painless root and reflash, Plug phone in etc....

I plug my phone in and enable debugging mode and nothing happens. I have no HTC software on my PC, I have no verizon software on my PC.

What am I doing wrong here?

Upvote 0
I installed all the Drivers and my device manager says Android phone, ADB. I downloaded the Unrevoked 3.21 and it gives me the reflash package.exe file. I open it up and it has a big pop up box that says Unrevoked3, Painless root and reflash, Plug phone in etc....

I plug my phone in and enable debugging mode and nothing happens. I have no HTC software on my PC, I have no verizon software on my PC.

What am I doing wrong here?

Anyone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones