1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Simplest possible mp3 stream player

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by triplemaya, Sep 5, 2020.

1. triplemaya

triplemaya Lurker

Hi. I'm looking for a really really simple player to stream a url. No whistles and bells, no asking me what I want, no playlist, no messing about! Googling does not help because I only get listings for clever players of one sort or another.

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

VLC for Android. Run it, tap the open network stream icon, input your desired stream URL, that's it.

Dannydet and MrJavi like this.
  3. triplemaya

triplemaya Lurker

Thanks. That is great. Works very nicely.
    Sadly it does not solve my problem though. The app cuts out after a while. I had the same problem with playing music through Chrome and I was hoping a really simple app would not have the same problem. I'll post a new thread about this.

4. triplemaya

triplemaya Lurker

I play a url with an app. The app cuts out after a while.

My phone is a Motorola E5 Play

I first had the problem with playing music through Chrome. Hoping a really simple app would not have the same problem I tried vlc but it is the same problem.

I have googled and found various ideas but I have looked at every possible setting for data management and power management, and all my settings are set to allow all data without limit. I am using wifi not data.

And also I am listening to a free stream that does not cut off - somafm. I listen all the time on the pc and have never had a problem.

#4 triplemaya, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

If you're listening to a paid-for service this isn't an issue, but with most free streaming content sites they involve some kind of time-based cut-off. Providing free audio isn't free of costs at some point, somebody has to cover the fees for all those online servers. So, again depending on just what you're listening to, it might not be the media player you're using but an account log-in matter (for pay-for services) or just the stream itself has limitations involved.

Dannydet likes this.
  6. triplemaya

triplemaya Lurker

Hi svim. Thanks. I'm listening to somafm. I listen all the time on the pc with no problems. It only cuts off on the phone. Googling I found others with a similar problem. All the suggestions seem to be to do with data usage but as I said in a previous post there does not seem to be any restriction in place that I can find.

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

is this using wifi at home? work? in public?

8. Trom

Trom Well-Known Member

It should not "cut out" after awhile, if it does, it's not VLC, you have a larger problem perhaps.

Dannydet likes this.
  9. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Yeah, your cell signal has a lot to do with it also, or your wifi can be to blame...

10. triplemaya

triplemaya Lurker

This is using at home.
    I am assuming it is a problem with the phone as I have no such problem with my laptop. It will happily play a stream through the wifi all day.
    And the phone is within arms lenght of the router. So naturally the indicater is full.
    I am not using cell data at all.

11. svim

svim Extreme Android User

OK, given your streaming source isn't the problem, I don't think whatever media player app you're using is necessarily what you should focus on. Inherently Android devices will default to saving power as a priority. Have you looked into your Settings menu and looked into any battery saving measures that might be enabled?
    Look in the 'Battery' option in the media player app's menu itself and/or the Settings >> Battery menu (if the media player app has Battery Optimization enabled, disable it).

Dannydet likes this.
  12. triplemaya

triplemaya Lurker

Hi. thanks. VLC says 'optimising battery usage'. When I tap on it to change it all that happens is it shows me a list of not optimised apps. If I double tap it I just get a rotating arrow.
    I was using Chrome to play the stream, and this had the same problem, and this appears on the list of not optimised apps.

Live Stream Player

Live Stream Player Forum

com.android.lsp.player

READ MORE
Last Updated
Rating
Installs