• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Simplified Fix for OTA updates and stock recovery

myfishbear

Android Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2010
NJ
Hey I felt it was a bit hard to follow the directions posted on how to restore your recovery after clockwork or allyRR (custom recovery) on a rooted ally so that ota updates will work correctly.

-If you are not rooted install a app called astro from the market and install universal androot from your sdcard ( http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/161744-universal-androot-beta.html )

Anyway, here is my simplified version. It was tested on windows 7 x64 and x86
props to drellisdee im just restating his work
(http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/146564-ally-recovery-img-here-custom-roms.html)
The file links are on his post and elsewhere on the fourm

-Download-
android sdk (found on official android site)
flash-image (needs to be unziped)
stock_recovery.img (thanks to drellisdee)

install android sdk to C:\
install Lg Usbdriver - if needed
copy flash_image to the root of your sdcard (remember to unzip it)
copy stock_recovery.img to the root of your sdcard

run cmd (windows command shell) as administrator by left clicking it

/ cd C:\android\sdk\tools (sdk's tools directory)

/ adb shell

/ $ su

you should have root # prompt on you phone, allow acess.

/ # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

/ # cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

/ # chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

/ # mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

/ # flash_image recovery /sdcard/stock_recovery.img

/ # reboot

now your done ... wasn't that easy lol

...if you wanted to completely revert to a stock 'out of the box' ally flash the lg v6 rom first then fix your recovery second
thanks to death2all110(http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html)

Finally i have to recommend flashing first the vzb deodexed and radio rom, then velocity 2, then the new v4 jit oc kernel and install adw launcher and set cpu @ 740mhz for max performance/max stability if you want a rooted ally... personally i used allyRR to achieve this, it personally gives me less trouble than clockworkmod... all of these file can be found on this forum or market.

Upvote 0
I may be wrong here but shouldn't flash_image and stock recovery.img go on the sdcard and not the tools folder? Since the commands say to get the files from the sdcard.

Also did you see this post? http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/183854-how-flash-stock-recovery.html

Pretty much covers everything posted just not in as much detail.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here. ;p

Yes they go on sdcard and these commands copy flash_image from sdcard to system/bin.

yeh i know but i had a big problem with it yesterday because clockwork mod and allyrr were giving me authentication errors when i tried to ota from v8 to vzb

Thats because you need to revert to V06 via lg mobile updater to apply an ota update and if you still have custom recovery after downgrade to v06 following guide above to restore stock recovery.

Reactions: myfishbear
Upvote 0
Power on the phone by holding SEND+MENU+PWR until you see the LG logo then let go. If you see an android and a exclamtion point then the phone reboots normally. That means you have the stock recovery.

ok it worked thanks, but when i try to do the sw update by *#*#checkin#*#* the notification pop up as checkin result success and when i press it , it doesnt do anything.. im on sw vs740zv6.

Upvote 0
ok it worked thanks, but when i try to do the sw update by *#*#checkin#*#* the notification pop up as checkin result success and when i press it , it doesnt do anything.. im on sw vs740zv6.
idk whats up with the v6 bs, i have the same prob now after going from vzb to v6.... this worked fine for v8 to v6.... im going to try to push the crappy v9 then go to v6 and see if it does anything... ill keep u posted when i get my result

yeh i tried it and i still cant get an update to show... i idk but i v9 worked better for me than v6...

Upvote 0
atleast im not the only one having trouble updating. has your phone updated itself yet?
mine hasn't either. idk why this fix will not work for me because it worked for me in the past. i had vzb, had problems with apps 2 sd. pushed v6, it wouldnt update and i hated v6 so i pushed v9 lol and updated my radio. im just going to wait for a fix or or just stay the course... bty verizon wont flash anything, i tried that lol and to top it off ally rr wont work for me anymore so im using clockwork with amon ra

Upvote 0
funny thing happened today... i was bored so i flashed dapper duck beta.... it deleted alot of files when i flashed it...I cleared everything including battery and ext part... then i flashed the v6 downgrade.... i rooted my phone with androot. put in the old recovery and bs... and magically my v8 ota came! so i tried the checkin and im getting no vzb yet but i think it will come in a couple of hours. ty old roms lol!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones