1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Simply wont connect to my wifi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kamoe, Apr 8, 2011.

1. kamoe

kamoe Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    Hi, I have been struggelig with a weird WiFi problem for some time.

Used to have a HTC Desiree what connected fine at home and the office. After updateing the system it was impossible to get it to connect any of the two places. Still it connects fine to some other WiFi spots. A collegue of mines phone has the same problem at the office.. but can connect fine at his house.

Now my brand new HTC Incredible S annoyingly won't connect either.. I have tried turning off security, changeing wifi channels etc.. Still it just comes to "Gettinng IP address" then it just "gives up".

Still I can actually see the phone in the DHCP client list of the router..

Anyone have some tips of what this stange issue is?? Some incompatibilty or weakness in the OS or what?

Saw this somwhere "This is a known issue with all Android phones. 802.1x is not technically supported even though the option is there. "

Could it be related? Still strange my Desiree connected fine before the system upgrade...

K

Advertisement

2. M13

M13 Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    Being Awesome
    I had this problem the other day. I was at Starbucks and they have free wifi. So I tried to connect to it and my phone just tried and tried. Then I restarted my phone and it worked fine.

3. SevenW

SevenW Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    I have to admit, I was at a Maccas trying to get online it just kept giving up, where as my Nokia logged in no problems, I fear it must be a bug. HTC update me now please.

4. kamoe

kamoe Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    I have done some investigation.. as the phone now connects fine to my office network where we have a 802.11g/802.11b router.. but at home where I have a "draft 802.11n" router its no way.

I think it might be related...

Anyone have any ideas of my theory?? Are you connecting fine to "draft 802.11n" routers?

K

5. DagMiller

DagMiller Member
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    London
    Have you tried going into the advanced Wi-Fi setting and setting your own IP address. So your Incredible will connect with a fixed internal IP address rather than waiting for the router to assign one.

You'll need to turn that setting off if you ever want to risk using another public Wi-Fi connection.

6. rover101

rover101 Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2011
    Problem solved!

My new HTC incredible S cannot connect to my home wireless router, i changed radio channel and encryption type but to no avail, took me two full days to find the solution.

I simply reset the router to factory settings by pressing the reset button behind the router then using the computer attached to the router, from d browser enter the url to set up d router, set it up by entering your Internet login user name and password and enable the wireless feature, i tried to enable my Incredible S wifi and MAGIC! ....my Incredible S is now connected to the router and the internet. hope this will help you too!

7. applemanthai

applemanthai Newbie
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Rover,
    Thats not a solution to our problem... thats just something that you did on your own router to enable wireless.

Problem is with 2.3 upgrade and the fact that wireless signal is absolutely awful.

I have been onto HTC and they confirmed that many people have complained but cannot give a time for hotfix.

I am going to demand a Desire S as a replacement.... cant stand this phone now as its basically useless when u cant have wifi (there is no 3g signal in my area or even GPRS!)

8. applemanthai

applemanthai Newbie
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Rover,
    Thats not a solution to our problem... thats just something that you did on your own router to enable wireless.

Problem is with 2.3 upgrade and the fact that wireless signal is absolutely awful.

I have been onto HTC and they confirmed that many people have complained but cannot give a time for hotfix.

I am going to demand a Desire S as a replacement.... cant stand this phone now as its basically useless when u cant have wifi (there is no 3g signal in my area or even GPRS!)