1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General simultaneous LTE & 3G Voice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jfoey22, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jfoey22

jfoey22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Cisco Engineer
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ok, here is a question that I don't believe I have heard asked yet. Supposedly, not all 4G LTE devices will be able to do Simultaneous Voice & Data. So, question is which ones will. Furthermore, I wonder where the limiting factor is. I would assume it would be a hardware constraint? If so, could that be fixed with an update?

Advertisement

2. Kitten Mittens

None

Mar 14, 2010
    Texas
    Well I can't speak for all the phones but I do know that in some hands on videos I've seen, the people working the booths have said numerous times the ThunderBolt will be capable of voice and data at the same time. I'm not sure if it's a hardware requirement but I do know that the ThunderBolt happens to have two Qualcomm chips, the MSM8655 (processor) which supports CDMA / EV-DO and the MDM9600 (LTE modem) that I assume handles LTE data only, although it is backwards compatible with EV-DO Rev. A / Rev. B, so maybe it is data only and the other chipset handles voice only...

Both of these chips are listed in the specs on HTC's website:

HTC ThunderBolt? at Verizon

And they even talk a little bit about it on Qualcomm's site:

Qualcomm News and Events - Press Releases - Qualcomm?s Snapdragon Processor and LTE Modem Power Connectivity Devices on Verizon Wireless? New 4G LTE Network

jfoey22 likes this.