• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Simultaneous Voice and Data over 4G

AWS is what metro uses, and has plenty to do with what you said about using another carriers phone on Metro pcs. If you look at the coverage map its self explanatory. I'm saying its pointless to use another carriers phone on metro because of the reduction in reception that's all. Yeah everyone has a cell phone, but what about if you use it for non personal usage. Per say business? Most "businesses" have lan lines, including the metro corp store I work at. So it is practical to have unlimited calling in that regard. Also just because everyone "HAS" a cell phone, doesn't mean they all have unlimited plans, and the minutes to use them lol. Especially when they have to wait 1 year just to up for there upgrade phone.

So if AWS is GSM technology, then how is a CDMA network using it PRIOR to installing there LTE? Which is practically build into every single phone they sell, even the $19 one. The only phone that even "seems" have a GSM like technology is the LTE in the Indulge.

From wiki:

AWS:

"Advanced Wireless Services, also known as AWS-1 or UMTS band IV, is a wireless telecommunications spectrum band used for mobile voice and data services, video, and messaging. AWS-1 is used in the United States and Canada. It replaces the spectrum formerly allocated to Multipoint Multichannel Distribution Service (MMDS), sometimes referred to as Wireless Cable.

UMTS:

In telecommunications, UMTS frequency bands are the radio spectrum frequencies designated for the operation of the Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) / High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) / High-Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) / HSPA+ / system for mobile phones.

On further note:

Band IV (W-CDMA 1700 or Advanced Wireless Services) in the United States (T-Mobile USA) and Canada (WIND Mobile, Mobilicity and Vidéotron)"

Looks to me like I don't see any GSM technology in there to me. Just because a GSM provider is using it doesn't mean its GSM transmission technology. Just like how metro is using LTE which is actual GSM based technology, when there base network is CDMA.

You just said that AWS is a UMTS band. UMTS is a GSM technology.

Upvote 0
Both of you have made incorrect statements. MetroPCS uses AWS while ROAMING. These means that they have dual-mode phones. The Galaxy Indulge has a SIM card because it is dual-mode. The AWS has nothing to do with metroPCS's home network.

And you are wrong that AT&T is the only network that can simultaneous surf and talk. All four major carriers can now with the advent of 4G. In the age of 3G, only AT&T and T-Mobile can do this (T-Mobile uses the exact same 3G technology that AT&T uses, which is HSDPA 7.2)

Sprint and Verizon cannot simultaneous surf and talk on 3G, BUT THEY CAN OVER 4G. Sprint's WiMax 4G is completely different radio that the CDMA radio used for voice and 3G. I own the Samsung EPIC 4G and have done this personally. It does not work over 3G, only 4G.

Upvote 0
MetroPCS uses AWS (or at least the spectrum) for 2G service, if you're on 1x in a home network area you're using AWS, it's well documented for instance the following is from wikipedia, found here Advanced Wireless Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AWS is only used in North America. The following mobile network operators are known to use AWS. Indicated in the list are the launch date and city.
Canada
Wind Mobile — December 16, 2009 in Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Whistler.
Mobilicity — May 15, 2010 in Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Vancouver.
Videotron — September 9, 2010 in Montreal and Qu

Upvote 0

[skip]

Like I said before, the ONLY company that can do both at the same time without being on WIFI is AT&T.

T-mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Cricket, and MetroPCS can't do it yet, Verizon may be the next but rumors are that you'll have to pay to do what AT&T does for free.

not true. I've been talking and surfing/tethering on T-Mobile for years now.

Reactions: FreakyLocz14
Upvote 0
Hi there. :mad:

To paraphrase our top rule: Attack issues and not each other.

Android Forums' prime directive: Please be polite.

Further outbreaks against the rules - links in my sig - will carry the penalty of failure to heed a mod warning.

The majority of this discussion is in violation of the second rule: Stay on topic.

A little side-topic, a little exploration, fine.

But so far as I can tell, the question was whether simultaneous voice and data can be had on the Samsung Galaxy Indulge.

Arguments into the full history and technology of all cell modalities are not especially necessary - the horse is dead, stop beating it.

Further invective will not be tolerated.

Reactions: ickster
Upvote 0
Good point. Back to topic then: from what I've read so far, it looks like when/if we have a custom ROM for this phone, we'll be able to talk and surf at the same time. Our current situation when the phone drops 4G connection as soon as the call is being made or coming in, appears to be a restriction implemented on the software level, that is the current version of the particular software on our phones. Since 4G & CDMA are 2 different connections to 2 different cells from 2 different radios, then the phone, I'm sure, can handle it and the cells could care less...

Upvote 0
I don't have the phone yet, but I think AT&T is the only company that can talk and surf at the same time. I know for a fact that sprint,Verizon, tmobile, metro can't do it, never tried it on cricket.

But if you're on wifi, all phones can do it. I know people with the EVO that can't do it.

I made a response vid for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERVctoqW5yw

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones