1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Simultaneous voice and data?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by namartlu, Aug 22, 2012.

1. namartlu

namartlu Member

Hi,

Just got this phone last week. Today I was on a call while driving with my GPS app on, I noticed that there's no data. I was under the impression that I could do simultaneous data and voice on my old Motorola Triumph, but not sure. I called VM and they said they don't support it. But some articles on the web are saying that Sprint network finally supports that.

So... do we have that?

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jvillejoe

jvillejoe Android Enthusiast

Data during phone calls? - xda-developers

That question was asked by a 3D user on Sprint. And you can always talk and surf over Wifi. I have never used this feature. Never had the need to really. VoLTE will be possible but, from my understanding the Evo 3D and Evo V are not LTE equipped, even though when you access the testing menu by entering, *#*#4636#*#* and go to, phone information, scroll down and click on the drop down tab and it has LTE settings there but, I'm assuming This is just a built in option for the android os. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure if this is possible over WiMax. Maybe someone else who knows this info will chime in.;)

3. qu4ttro

qu4ttro Well-Known Member

CDMA does not support voice and data simultaneously, if you are on a call the only way to get data simultaneously is if you are connected to WiFi or WiMax/4G.

4. GTWolf

GTWolf Member

When I had the Triumph I tested this. I was able to talk and surf the web without wifi. Was only a 2min call to my wife to see if it was possible and by no means a full test. Haven't tried it on the Evo.

While I was able to do it, could have been a fluke. I was in an area where no wifi was available, so I definately didn't have it on by accident.

5. kevindroid

kevindroid Android Expert

cdma uses the same radio for voice and data wimax is a seperate radio so using wimax for surfing calls are possible. give it a try. hope this helps you

6. jvillejoe

7. namartlu

namartlu Member

It doesn't include EVO V 4G? Mine is Sprint-branded...

8. jvillejoe

The Evo 4G LTE has a different chipset then that of the Evo V 4G.

9. namartlu

namartlu Member

Thanks, all the different models really confuse me. But now it makes sense.

10. qu4ttro

And Virgin doesn't have LTE anyway.

11. jvillejoe

I understand that. No one said they have LTE. I was just pointing out ways that voice and data could be obtained in a, "what if type situation". ;)

12. qu4ttro

Sorry, that was a response to the comparisons between the Evo V and Evo 4G LTE chipsets. Should've quoted it in my post.

13. dreddydroid

dreddydroid Newbie

I run 4g only, never even use "mobile data " ie 3g.. Calls and texts never interfere with my 4g....

In fact i even get the sms errors and calls freezing my phone etc... but good ol 4g is the one thing that is rock solid for me...

14. Same. 4G is the best thing that has came to Virgin Mobile in a longgg time.