• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Since the update, my phone is half broken

Shurple

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2011
NJ
Droid3

My calendar keeps giving me a process.com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly.

*I can open the calendar but when i try to add an appt, i get the error.

Going to Accounts in settings gives me process.com.android.settings has stopped unexpectedly.

I am so over droid and the constant issues. The update also broke the video recorder and my camera is all grainy now and never focuses.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

Yes I am rooted but I did not touch anything. I just used it to get rid of the bloat like NFL, Citrix, etc. I'm stock 100%.

My calendar keeps giving me a process.com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly.

*I can open the calendar but when i try to add an appt, i get the error.

Going to Accounts in settings gives me process.com.android.settings has stopped unexpectedly.

I was going to say that if you can get into settings->applications->manage applications, you can tap "Calendar Storage" and then "clear data" to have your calendar events re-import from a sync, but it sounds like you have more serious issues.

I'd factory reset and start over again (though read what I write at the end.)

I am so over droid and the constant issues. The update also broke the video recorder and my camera is all grainy now and never focuses.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

Yes I am rooted but I did not touch anything. I just used it to get rid of the bloat like NFL, Citrix, etc. I'm stock 100%.

It sounds like you may have "touched" something. When you "got rid of bloat", what exactly did you do? Did you run or follow a script? Did you debloat by freezing apps, or did you just delete them?

Upvote 0
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I got rid of NFL, CITRIX, and a few other games that came with the phone from day 1 the first time i rooted. The calendar and access to the accounts worked fine. I did this manually (I don't know how to run scripts and stuff). That was the only reason I wanted to root.... to get rid of the bloat.

Then an update came out and "unrooted" me. Pete's One Click doesn't work with the D3 latest update, so I was told to use this other root program. I had to get rid of the bloat manually AGAIN and all was well.... I didn't get into the nitty gritty beyond the apps listed above plus a few I can't remember names of. I didn't go into root files or anything.

Ok i'm willing to do a factory reset. How would I do that? If you have a thread link to how to factory reset and unroot, i'd like to try.

edit: i deleted them.

Thanks! (all my important stuff is backed up via google such as contacts, photos, music).

Upvote 0
... plus a few I can't remember names of.

It was probably one of the ones that you can't remember the names of.

You can try a factory reset to see if that will help - hopefully you just have corruption in one of the system app's data records (though that doesn't really seem as likely to me as the guess that you removed too much.) Your best path forward may be trying get an SBF that has the needed files back, or, perhaps, installing Safestrap and then a custom ROM like Eclipse, Liberty, or Maverick (which I think are the best of the D3 custom ROMs for everyday use.)

When trying to debloat a phone with an encrypted bootloader like the Droid 3 you are far better off "freezing" unwanted bloatware with an app like Titanium Backup Pro so that you can at least attempt to recover if you have frozen too much.

Upvote 0
It was probably one of the ones that you can't remember the names of.

You can try a factory reset to see if that will help - hopefully you just have corruption in one of the system app's data records (though that doesn't really seem as likely to me as the guess that you removed too much.) Your best path forward may be trying get an SBF that has the needed files back, or, perhaps, installing Safestrap and then a custom ROM like Eclipse, Liberty, or Maverick (which I think are the best of the D3 custom ROMs for everyday use.)

When trying to debloat a phone with an encrypted bootloader like the Droid 3 you are far better off "freezing" unwanted bloatware with an app like Titanium Backup Pro so that you can at least attempt to recover if you have frozen too much.

What's an SBF? I apologize, I'm not very techy yet. I don't really understand how to install a ROM (I have yet to find a how to in plain baby English). It all seems greek to me LOL!!!

What's a bootloader?

Regarding the bloat, it's the same bloat I removed previously and never had a problem. Seriously just apps. I could get you a list of the crap Verizon shoves onto these phones, but I did this exact same thing with Pete's One Click and everything worked fine. Since Pete's doesn't work with the updated system, I used some other root program.

The update itself ruined my camera - even before I re-rooted: the pictures are all blurry and grainy (won't focus), the video recorder makes the phone flash on and off over and over.

Upvote 0
First of all, I am going to move this thread to "All Things Root". Since you rooted your phone, that's really the proper place for this discussion.

The best instructions I have saved for this are on this post on xda-developers.com, here: xda-developers - View Single Post - E file signature verification failed?

I'll quote it here with some additional comments. I think that this is your best bet going forward until an SBF file is released with stock 906 version software for Verizon. (And, if you do not mind a lecture, if you do not understand what an SBF file is for a Motorola phone, then you made a foolish decision to root your phone. Ok, lecture done.)

First, download and copy to your phone a custom ROM .zip file. There are a few to choose from, but I think that Maverick may be your best bet for now. You can download it from the link below; look for the link on that page that says "Maverick 4.0 - Download"

Maverick: [ROM] Maverick ROM for the D3 v4.0

Copy this file (called D3-MavROM-4.0.zip) to your phone. It can be anywhere on the internal storage or external SD card (if you have one) on your phone, though I just copy it to the root directory (i.e., I do not put it in a folder.)

You will also need to download Safestrap. You can find it here: Safestrap Hash-of-Codes (make sure that you download the version for the Droid 3!). Also copy that file to your phone; it is called Droid3Safestrap-1.0.apk.

And here are the instructions from the xda-developers.com thread, with my comments and further details interspersed:

1) make sure your phone is rooted if it isn't already. There are threads about this... I used DoomLord's root (version 4) for my phone but read up.

You are already rooted, so, obviously, you can skip this step

2) install safestrap 1.08

This always bugs me - "install safestrap" - as if the way to install it is obvious. It is not, as you are about to see:

a. From home, do menu->settings->applications. I hope that you do not get a force close from this. So long as you do not, make sure that "Unknown sources" is checked.

b. Once that is done, go back home. Tap the app drawer icon, and find and tap "Files". Choose the location where you put the Safestrap file (Internal phone storage or SD card). This will show you a list of all of the files and folders on your system. Find the Droid3Safestrap-1.0.apk file and tap it. It should bring up a dialog asking if you want to install the application - choose "Install".

c. When it is complete, you will get a prompt asking if you want to Open the app or tap Done. Tap "Open" and see the next instruction.

3) when you run safestrap 1.08 from your app drawer, superuser will probably ask you if you want to allow it root access, say yes.

This should be pretty obvious, though you have about 10 seconds to say yes ... if you are too slow, just go back home, go into the app drawer, and start Safestrap again.

4) in the app, hit the first button. It will install safestrap so you can boot into safestrap recovery. When it says its done, restart phone.

I believe the button says "Install recovery".

5) upon restart, you will be greeted by the safestrap splashscreen. It gives u 10 seconds to hit Menu to take you into safestrap recovery. Otherwise it will just continue with booting.

When you see that new Safestrap boot screen, you hit the "Menu" key to get into Safestrap recovery, as the next instruction says.

6) so hit menu. Safestrap Recovery appears. It will indicate that safe mode is not enabled yet. You are in non-safe right now (your stock rom)

This should also be pretty straightforward. It does take a few seconds for Safestrap recovery (green text on a black screen) to appear.

Actually, here is a Youtube video of the Droid 4, showing the installation of Safestrap and how to start it after starting the phone. Watch this; it's about 5 minutes: Droid 4 D4 Bootstrap SafeStrap ClockWorkMod Recovery Install and Nandroid backup - YouTube

Note that you move up and down the menu by using the Volume up and down keys, and you select a highlighted option by tapping the power button at the top. Also note that several options that you will be choosing present a menu with several lies of "No" with one line that says "Yes" - this is to protect you from doing something without thinking. Just make sure if you see that screen that you scroll down to "Yes" and tap power to continue.

7) this step is optional but I'm sure everyone will recommend it (I do also). Navigate your selection with the down/up volume buttons and hit power when you get to "backup". This will back up your non-safe zone and dump it onto your sdcard (internal or external). You can restore it to your non-safe zone (only) if you happen to mess up your non-safe system. The backup will be stored in /safestrap/backup. of whatever card you select.

Please do step 7.

8) now that that's done, it will take you back to the main menu of safestrap recovery
9) Go to "safe boot menu" and hit Toggle safe zone. Don't do the quick toggle, just do the normal one (the first one)

This is what allows you to flash custom ROMs. As the Youtube video mentions, this stores your current rooted stock system in a safe storage location and allows you to flash a new Android build (one that is designed for the Droid 3 - in this case we will try Maverick) without disturbing your stock Droid 3.

10) at the top it will say safe zone enabled. You can now install your custom rom by going to "install zip from sdcard" from the main menu of safestrap*

After you tap "install zip from sdcard", it will ask you if you want to install from the internal or external SD card. Choose the place where you stored the Maverick zip file.

This will show you all of the folders and files in that location. Try to find D3-MavROM-4.0.zip, highlight it and tap the power button. It should ask you to confirm - let it go ahead.

When you get the message that this is complete, go back to the main menu (there should be an option for that) if you are not already three.

VERY IMPORTANT

Before you restart the phone, choose the option "Wipe data/factory reset". If you restart before doing this, it will probably lock up the phone.

After you do the Wipe data/factory reset, choose the option to power the phone off. (Do not choose the option to restart the phone - there seems to be a bug that sometimes prevents the phone from restarting when I do this.) Then power the phone up normally. The Safestrap boot screen will come up. You can either wait 10 seconds for the phone to start normally, or you can press the Search button to start it immediately. Do not press Menu - this will take you back to Safestrap, which you do not need to do.

So, to summarize the steps:

- download Safestrap and Maverick and copy the files to your phone
- make sure that third party installs is turned on
- install Safestrap
- start Safestrap and tap "Install recovery"
- shut down and restart the phone. Press menu to start Safestrap
- backup your system from the Backup/restore menu
- toggle safe system on
- install Maverick
- wipe data/factory reset
- shut down the phone
- start the phone up. Press search when you see the Safestrap message
- set up your phone from scratch
- no matter how tempted you are, do not delete any files that you think are bloat!

Hopefully, this will work out for you. Please report any problems or issues that you run into.

Reactions: glennj and Shurple
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones