1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[SINGAPORE USERS ONLY] Help with modem! slow speedtest.net GalaxyS2-i9100international version

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by spectrumn, Aug 10, 2012.

1. spectrumn

spectrumn Lurker

Guys! Thanks for reading this. So i am being very disturbed by the fact that Galaxy S2 has the same, if not better network hardware/software supported as the iphone 4s,
    source here.
    Samsung GALAXY S II
    Network
    HSPA+ 21Mbps/ HSUPA 5.76Mbps
    EDGE/ GPRS Class 12
    Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 (this is supposed to be very fast)

but the thing is i am very disappointed that when testing speedtest.net on my friends iphone 4s, he gets a constant whopping 4mbps download and 2 mbps upload(highest down can be 8mbps), while on MY galaxy s2 i get a measly highest of 2 mbps and 0.5 mbps upload,averaging 0.5mbps download. His iphone is completely stock, not jailbroken but i have flashed and rooted stuff on my galaxy s2 before. but i reverted to completely stock and results are still the same. i am trying different modems right now and am in NELP2, which is averagely good. constant 1-2 mbps down.

so i am hoping and calling out there for singapore galaxy s2 users who have gotten great scores of 4mbps and above on speedtest.net to help me your modem version, simply go to settings > about phone > Baseband version. Modem can be a factor in internet 3g speeds. i am pained by my slow 3g speeds and i bought the galaxy s2 as people say it is better than iphone 4s, but it is clearly not showing so.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
    *Hopefully waiting for a quick response :D thank you all in advance!!

Edit: Btw i tried changing CSC from EUR to STH as well, and also my provide is Starhub. With 12 GB data connection! im trying to get what im paying for. 12 GB with such slow internet is just waste of money! my friend is using a similar plan but has such better speed! :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. spectrumn

spectrumn Lurker

bump! somebody help please?

3. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

I am not a Singapore user but perhaps I can offer you a few pointers.

The problem of your download/upload speeds will lie with either...

1. Your modem

2. Your network provider

3. A combination of the 2.

My first thought is that you try sim cards from other network operators, particularly the one that your friends iPhone is on. Network Operators speeds can vary dramatically, even in different locations and it is not unknown for speeds to be throttled by operators.

Secondly, I would be inclined to go for modems that are optimised for your network/location. For instance, the DX modems for Asia, do not tend to perform as well as the European modems for me, in the UK whilst the UK modems do not do well in, say, Canada.

The Galaxy SII is certainly capable of much higher speeds than you are receiving, see screenshot.

A guide that you may find helpful is... "Modem installation - A Dummies Guide".

[​IMG]

spectrumn likes this.
  4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

As IA noted, comparisons are only valid if both handsets are using the same network. Even then it's possible that the equipment used on the network side gives better performance with certain wireless chipsets. That's one reason why there are different modem firmwares installed depending on the intended retail market of the handset.

spectrumn likes this.
  5. spectrumn

spectrumn Lurker

Woah..that's some speed I'd kill for! Been trying to get that result..
    Yes its true that the iPhone was on a different operator, Singtel.

man iPhones are so convenient, no need to flash modems @_@

Btw, what modem are you using? I am already using a DX modem and I get nothing compared to yours T.T

Thanks for your replies guy! Appreciate it a lot :D

Edit: I'm already using the latest modem for my region,DXLPA. Not very impressive speed, and my worry is, there are so many modems, most of foreign country and each takes 1-2 days to settle. Then wouldn't testing to find a good modem be a gruelling job? Any advice ?
    Why can't s2 just perform out of the box -fuming-

6. ironass

Your first option should be to try a Singtel sim card in your phone to see if that improves your speed. It could be that your operator cannot match their speeds. No amount of modem flashing will change that. Just change operator.

Which is why my friends iPhone doesn't work in a lot of areas around here, that mine does. :D

I'm using, as per my details on the left, under my name, the BVLP7, "P", variant modem for Orange, UK. I doubt that this would work so well for you. I suggest reading through this thread:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-.../588852-modem-installation-dummies-guide.html

No shortcuts I'm afraid. You could see what modem other people are using on your network, to start with. My feeling is that yours is a network problem though.

If your network is to blame, then nothing will work, out-of-the-box. Put a Singtel sim in and see if your speed improves before doing anything else.

spectrumn likes this.
  7. spectrumn

spectrumn Lurker

hahaha, okay. i'll try that and report back later.
    thanks again for your quick reply!
    i most certainly hope its not my provider at fault..because it is very inconvenient and costly to change providers.

yes i read through your modem installation guide, but that hasn't really helped me find a good modem for my provider/region :p -scratches head- sorry! haha

edit: i tried to test, but the iphone uses a microsim and i don't have an adapter to use it on the galaxy s2, so i couldn't test. =.=

8. ironass

My advice remains the same... test your phone first with, say, a SingTel sim, because if it is your operator that is causing the problem, then no amount of modems can change that and you will have wasted your time.

9. spectrumn

spectrumn Lurker

Okay..I will try it. Thanks for the advice :)

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews