1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Single app device

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by pankaj013, Dec 19, 2011.

1. pankaj013

pankaj013 Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    Hi

I am looking to create a single app device and exploring if android works well as an embedded OS in such scenario. So I will be using beagleboard or similar that support android. The use case is as follows:
    1. User boots the device. the device boots up android.
    2. The first UI screen that user sees is my custom app screen. User will not be able to exit out of the app or close it. This would mean that any hardware buttons will be disabled expect for the reset and power on/off.
    3. Within my UI I will still want to launch the Settings app to allow user to set the Wifi connectivity and also be able to use the virtual keyboard.

Is this scenario possible and if yes any good links to follow. I have been hunting on google and youtube but didnt find a conclusive answer.

Thanks
    Pankaj

PS: This is my first post on the forum :)

Advertisement

2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    Here is a video from Utube to get you started and there are others on the right of this one.
    Porting Android on Beagle Board XM - YouTube

Do a Google on "beagleboard android" to get tons of links to start you in the right direction. I think is doable, but not very practical unless you are just practicing.

3. pankaj013

pankaj013 Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    I already know how to get android working on beagleboard. The thing I want help on is that when android boots up, instead of it coming to the android home screen, I want my custom app to start without having to click the icon in the launcher. Infact my android install will only have one app installed and that is mine and taht is the only app I want running all the time.

4. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    Then in your code at the point where the lock screen is normally painted, open your app at that point in your code.

5. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
  6. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    A very interesting idea, Pankaj. You may get more specific help in the Development section, so I'll move this topic to there.

7. pankaj013

pankaj013 Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    Karan, yes that is what I want. I can actually do that easily using core embedded linux with framebuffer and an application dev environment like Qt which allows creating UI applications targeted to framebuffer. I just need to add my application in the init script and it gets started as soon as the boot process is finished. The problem with that direction is that then in my application I have to implement almost all components including things like virtual keyboard, wifi settings screen etc. The reason I want to use android is so that I can use existing components for keyboard etc. Also driver support and application development & testing is better when using android.