• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Single app device

pankaj013

Lurker
Dec 19, 2011
Hi

I am looking to create a single app device and exploring if android works well as an embedded OS in such scenario. So I will be using beagleboard or similar that support android. The use case is as follows:
1. User boots the device. the device boots up android.
2. The first UI screen that user sees is my custom app screen. User will not be able to exit out of the app or close it. This would mean that any hardware buttons will be disabled expect for the reset and power on/off.
3. Within my UI I will still want to launch the Settings app to allow user to set the Wifi connectivity and also be able to use the virtual keyboard.

Is this scenario possible and if yes any good links to follow. I have been hunting on google and youtube but didnt find a conclusive answer.

Thanks
Pankaj

PS: This is my first post on the forum :)

I already know how to get android working on beagleboard. The thing I want help on is that when android boots up, instead of it coming to the android home screen, I want my custom app to start without having to click the icon in the launcher. Infact my android install will only have one app installed and that is mine and taht is the only app I want running all the time.

Upvote 0
Karan, yes that is what I want. I can actually do that easily using core embedded linux with framebuffer and an application dev environment like Qt which allows creating UI applications targeted to framebuffer. I just need to add my application in the init script and it gets started as soon as the boot process is finished. The problem with that direction is that then in my application I have to implement almost all components including things like virtual keyboard, wifi settings screen etc. The reason I want to use android is so that I can use existing components for keyboard etc. Also driver support and application development & testing is better when using android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones