• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Single command shut down?

D Willison

Lurker
Jan 1, 2022
Hey all! I just replaced an ancient note with a new Galaxy A7 lite (tablet). And one of the old annoyances still seems to exist despite a new device and new OS. How do I shut it down with a single command?

To shut it down you have to press and hold the power button for several seconds (the shut down command).

Then it asks you to confirm this by selecting "power off."

Then it asks you to confirm a third time by tapping yet another on screen button.

There has to be a way to disable this round-about shut off routine. Is there a setting somewhere? Or an app? Something?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That is the standard.

Why do you wish to shut the device off?
This is not common practice.

These devices are made to always be on, and to be that way for their lifespan (2-4 years).

Shutting the device down causes it to be rather slow to start upon powering up.
This could be an issue in an emergency.

There are numerous ways to turn off the screen, certain apps, etc. to badically put the device into a lower mode of action while still maintain duty as a phone.

But as far as actually shutting it off, I know of no other way than the way that you already know.

Upvote 0
Hey all! I just replaced an ancient note with a new Galaxy A7 lite. And one of the old annoyances still seems to exist despite a new device and new OS. How do I shut it down with a single command?

To shut it down you have to press and hold the power button for several seconds (the shut down command).

Then it asks you to confirm this by selecting "power off."

Then it asks you to confirm a third time by tapping yet another on screen button.

There has to be a way to disable this round-about shut off routine. Is there a setting somewhere? Or an app? Something?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure you'd need to root it. AFAIK it needs the Linux kernel "shutdown" command, and it requires root access to do that.

Upvote 0
Accessibility settings has an option to turn the phone off, but it places an icon on your screen that's always visible so you might not like that.

In the Accessibility settings look for something like Interaction and Dexterity, Motor Cognition, or Touch Assistant... will vary by device. When enabled you tap the icon to display a menu and press the power button to turn off.

You can also use ADB to power off the phone (without root), but connecting it to a computer would take waaaaay longer then pushing the power button.

There might be apps that use the Accessibility setting without always having something on your screen.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
OK, Thanks all. The assistance menu does work, but it just replaces the button push and hold with two taps, so it looks like there is no simple solution. I guess because it's designed primarily for phones, they haven't included a convenient shut off, or the ability to turn off redundant confirmations of actions like a computer os has.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones