• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root sink or swim...I'm jumping in

slugbug

Jul 26, 2010
Longhorn Land
I have read and read and re-read so much that I am now more confused than ever. I am a smart person, relatively tech savvy (problem just enough to get me in trouble:eek:), and am going to root. Tonight.

I deleted some music and now have almost 3gb avl' on my sd card (I was under 1gb), I will back up my phone to my laptop now (already ran app brain sync and astro file backup), I will re-watch the simple root video, then I am jumping in. I know I want to start with a Sense Rom, basically just want the phone rooted so I can delete bloatware, get Titanium backup, do full backups, then play play play!!!

I am not unhappy with the phone, I get a full day's use out of my battery,

Gawd I hope some of you are around tonight to help in case I screw something up!!!

I'm more worried now about getting my settings back the way I want the than I am of the root process - ha ;)

your first step is always to create a nandroid backup after you are rooted BEFORE flashing anything. Keep that backup safely in several places (on your sd card, on your computer, on your dropbox). Its worth its digital weight in gold because if something effs up along the line, you can always revert back to that and start over.

glad you jumped in!

Upvote 0
Ok. I did a ROM Manger Backup and am running the Titanium Backup (those are nandroid backups right?.

Then I will put a copy of all of that on my laptop.

Then.... I will delete crap!

Those are good backups to have also, but they arent a nandroid. You will make a nand from the recovery screen. You can use 'quickboot' (free from market) and select recovery or shut down your phone, hold the VOL down button and push the power button while still holding the VOL down. Then you will be in recovery. Do you know which one you are using? clockwork mod or RA? I think that unrevoked uses clockwork if i'm not mistaken, i'm not positive though as i have not used it.

Reactions: slugbug
Upvote 0
Sorry to be a pain, but I would still like to confirm that I have made a nandroid backup.
I used Rom Manager, clockwork, backup current rom.

Is that a nandroid?

Thanks!

So far I have installed several of the sprint apps. Not sure why, but I am having bad lag and the battery is draining faster. I have rebooted, pulled battery, etc. I have not flashed any roms yet.

Still happy happy happpy to have crap gone and a real full backup of my phone B-)

Upvote 0
Sorry to be a pain, but I would still like to confirm that I have made a nandroid backup.
I used Rom Manager, clockwork, backup current rom.

Is that a nandroid?

Thanks!

So far I have installed several of the sprint apps. Not sure why, but I am having bad lag and the battery is draining faster. I have rebooted, pulled battery, etc. I have not flashed any roms yet.

Still happy happy happpy to have crap gone and a real full backup of my phone B-)
You need to change your kernel which will get rid of your lag. New Kernel will come with a new Rom and should also inprove battery life for you....

Never used Rom manager to make a nandroid backup but it sounds like it is the same thing. Most people go into recovery and there will be an option in there to make a backup.....That is most do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones