• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sipdroid and Google Voice for Android 1.5 (Wifi Calling)

Heavymeds

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
I am in Canada and a friend of mine owns a phone running Android 1.5. Her cell phone service was recently disconnected so I have been attempting over the past couple weeks to get wifi calling up and running so she can make and recieve phone calls whenever she has a WIFI Connection. Unfortunately I have been having some difficulties and was hoping that perhaps some of the knowledgeable people here on the android forums may be able to point me in the right direction.

The method I have previously been using to get wifi calling up and running on several of my friends phones is to download Google Voice and Sipdriod. When Google Voice is installed Sipdroid displays an option at the bottom on the application to create a new pbx linked to your google voice account.

To my dissapointment, Google Voice is only compatable with Android 1.6 and up. Is there a way to configure sipdroid so that you do not require the Google Voice application to be installed on your phone to make and recieve WIFI calls with your Google Voice account? If not, is there a way I can install the Google Voice application on Android 1.5?

I cannot find any alternatives to Google Voice and Sipdroid for making and receiving free WIFI calls to Canada. The closest application I can find that can be installed on android 1.5 is Nettalk but the call quality is terrible and you cannot recive phone calls. Does anyone know of any alternative methods of setting up free WIFI calling?

Also, something else that would be helpful is if someone knows of a service to send and recieve free text messages. Because I am unable to install Google Voice on Android 1.5 I am forced to constantly check the website for recieved text messages. I would like to set up the phone so that I am alerted when new text messages come in rather than having to check the website all the time.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones