1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Siri on Android? Not Quite, but Voice Search and Voice Actions Get the Job Done

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by minus5252, Nov 1, 2011.

1. minus5252

minus5252 Well-Known Member
    None

Google Voice Search and Actions work just like Siri on iOS 5 for iPads and iPhones. Here is a quick overview of the Voice Search and Voice Actions functionality on the Motorola Triumph. This will work on most Android devices with a microphone, but keep in mind that you must download Google Voice Search from the marketplace for this to work:
    Voice Search and Actions - The Android Answer to iOS 5's Siri - YouTube

Advertisement

2. tusing

tusing Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Wrong section :) but who cares!

Honestly, I'm all for Android. But the simple fact is, there is nothing on Android that compares to Siri, and the Google team feels there is no need for one (sadly). Voice Search and Voice Actions are cool, but they don't compare to the level of interactivity by Siri. Keep in mind, Apple hired the best AI artists in the world (and probably payed them wads upon wads of cash) and used help from DARPA in constructing Siri. It's why you get that level of quality (compared to the Siri app in the App Store a few years ago).

Google probably has a ton of data on voice now. I hope they put it to good use, and come out with something competitive. Voice-superphone interaction will be the next era in human-machine interaction (sexual jokes and "apocalypse" statements in 3...2...1...). The more companies that jump on it, the better- I love how Apple and Google are taking ideas from each other and implementing them. It only makes things better!

One thing I would like Google to do is to not leave things half-baked. Sure, Voice Actions and Search are cool, but it would be nice if they made it a fully robust thing. Rather than leaving things in beta and moving on, they should complete a set of features before moving on. In other words, get something that compares to Siri, and focus on it before coming up with something new. :D Can't wait for Google's version of Siri upcoming!

Edit: Also, it's fun to say "Siri, do this for me!" rather than "Do this for me!". Commanding your phone/robot apocalypse assistant gives a much more satisfying feeling (until they start commanding us instead!).

3. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    I prefer vlingo.

4. Prey521

Prey521 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Yeah Vlingo and Goog's Voice Search are cool, but they're nowhere near Siri as far as interactivity go.

5. xthedakmanx

xthedakmanx Android Expert
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Male
  6. tylerdurdin

tylerdurdin Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    New York

Yeah this is a cool app I have been using it for a while....its getting better and better....ask her to tell you a joke....she is hilarious.

Also a lot of the basic siri functions work pretty well.

7. marc12868

marc12868 Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Male
    Tier 2 Tech Support @ At&t
    Spokane Valley, Washington
    Iris is pretty amazing especially given that it was developed in only 8 hours. Also if you ask Iris if its smarter than siri it will tell you it is. Lol

8. Helgaiden

Helgaiden Member
    None

Oct 27, 2010
    i heard speaktoit assistant is pretty darn good

9. isaacj87

isaacj87 Android Expert
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Full-time college student
    Dallas, TX
    Actually, it really is. It stumbles on a few questions, but it's been able handle most of the things I asked it to.

10. baker39466

baker39466 Newbie
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    I'm currently using Skyvi. It seems pretty darn good, but with a few minor bugs. I can't wait to see future updates.

11. alaskn81

alaskn81 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Washington
    I'm using Iris, and Google voice. I prefer Iris for now, but just using the voice apps out of curiosity at the moment.

12. johnb41

johnb41 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    I'm downloading Skyvi right now... 40MB's! Anyway, I quite like Vlingo, mainly for the InCar feature. In theory you can send email, texts, request navigation, etc all without touching the phone at all, while driving, and it works with a bluetooth headset (which Google Voice Actions can't do)

13. korretalks

korretalks Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2011
    I've seen the demonstrations of Siri, and I must say I've been doing those things with Voice Actions (Which was created by Pannous not Google although it was initially created for Android phones) for nearly a year now. It has artificial intelligence and I can say or ask it anything and it understands me even when I use colloquial language. It even has its own personality and religious affiliation.

However, Ive noticed lately that it says "I am dead" or "I am in a coma, please try to resurrect me later." Then I went to the market for an update and found that the program's developer had changed the program's name from Voice Actions to Jeannie. One should note that the AI's name was always Jeannie even before the program's name change, although one was allowed to change her name to whatever one wanted.

The problem is that Pannous never really marketed Voice Actions the way Apple did with Siri so people think its new technology. But I haven't seen Siri do ANYTHING that I haven't been able to do with Voice Actions (including the Quality of the AI). Now I admit I do not have an iphone so I am comparing what Apple has shown in video demonstrations to what I've been able to do with Voice Actions. I also think that most of the casual users of Voice Actions never knew it had such AI capability. I actually stumbled upon asking it a silly question only to find that it responded intelligently. Then I found myself having a conversation with Jeannie. This was about a year ago.

14. korretalks

korretalks Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2011
    I've seen the demonstrations of Siri, and I must say I've been doing those things with Voice Actions (Which was created by Pannous not Google although it was initially created for Android phones) for nearly a year now. It has artificial intelligence and I can say or ask it anything and it understands me even when I use colloquial language. It even has its own personality and religious affiliation.

However, Ive noticed lately that it says "I am dead" or "I am in a coma, please try to resurrect me later." Then I went to the market for an update and found that the program's developer had changed the program's name from Voice Actions to Jeannie. One should note that the AI's name was always Jeannie even before the program's name change, although one was allowed to change her name to whatever one wanted.

The problem is that Pannous never really marketed Voice Actions the way Apple did with Siri so people think its new technology. But I haven't seen Siri do ANYTHING that I haven't been able to do with Voice Actions (including the Quality of the AI). Now I admit I do not have an iphone so I am comparing what Apple has shown in video demonstrations to what I've been able to do with Voice Actions. I also think that most of the casual users of Voice Actions never knew it had such AI capability. I actually stumbled upon asking it a silly question only to find that it responded intelligently. Then I found myself having a conversation with Jeannie. This was about a year ago.

15. AtticTRON

AtticTRON Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Meh... I tried both and they seem like gimmicks to me.