• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sirius/XM App on the way soon!!

potatolover1102

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2009
Houston, Texas
So we are finally getting the app for only the droid and nexus one for now! Sorry all of you who switched to the incredible since the droid is still on top lol! No the incredible is great but the droid is not gone!! Sirius XM app for Android 'coming soon' -- Engadget

I have been waiting for this for awhile and they show you the channel lineup so you can see what you can get!

Personally, I think Pandora has made XM radio obsolete rather quickly. It's free and even more user-centric than XM.

Absolutely! I have an XM subscription for my car radio, and listening to it is like picking diamonds out of a dunghill. I MUCH prefer Pandora. And on long road trips I'll have my Droid running as a GPS with Pandora running in the background (the audio goes through my car's AUX input, and sounds great).

When my XM subscription runs out, I don't intend to renew it. I only wish there was an easier way to turn on Pandora in my car at the push of a button, so it would be more convenient on short trips.

Upvote 0
If the app is anything like the sirius/xm iPhone app it is not worth it. I tried it when I had my iPhone. No Howard Stern and no NFL, without those how is it possibly better than Slacker or Pandora. I'll be sticking with my Slacker Plus subscription and NFL mobile!

But on the plus side, it is good to see more big companies developing for Android instead of just Apple.

Upvote 0
Absolutely! I have an XM subscription for my car radio, and listening to it is like picking diamonds out of a dunghill. I MUCH prefer Pandora. And on long road trips I'll have my Droid running as a GPS with Pandora running in the background (the audio goes through my car's AUX input, and sounds great).

When my XM subscription runs out, I don't intend to renew it. I only wish there was an easier way to turn on Pandora in my car at the push of a button, so it would be more convenient on short trips.

You may be in luck; I remember reading somewhere that Pandora is trying to make deals with car manufacturers in the future to integrate their services with the car's radio.

Upvote 0
You may be in luck; I remember reading somewhere that Pandora is trying to make deals with car manufacturers in the future to integrate their services with the car's radio.
I heard something about that - but I wonder how that would work. Would you need an extra data plan for the car radio?

What would be very awesome is if the car could automatically connect to the phone's data plan through Bluetooth. It could then pull Pandora music (and who knows what other interesting ideas) over the Internet.

Upvote 0
No Howard Stern

no HS - limited use to me. Been listening every day - I am right now - since he came to Sirius. If this app can't grab that, which I bet it cannot given the other iPod inclusion issues that came about because of content dissemination legalities, I don't think it would be that useful to me. I might download it just to see what we can get when it comes out.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the "online access" will work, once full "current" Flash support is available. I can currently login, access my favorites, and change the stations, but the "Flash Player" does not render fully, as there are no play/stop/volume buttons, and no audio, with Flash 9.4 (Nokia N900).

With my old WinMo 6.1 phone, thru AT&T, it only allowed access to the top 25 stations? I think it was also extra to have access. Kinda' whack, since online access is free for most subscribers.

Upvote 0
I noticed they DO have Opie and Anthony, and the Rosie O'Donnell Show... :thinking:

edit: Forgot to mention Oprah and Martha Stewart...blah.

he explained it one day last year when he was pissed that they were not on the iPhone app - which makes sense they will not be on the Droid app - about distribution legalities of his content. kind of vague, but acknowledged he would not be and seemed kind of pizzed about it.

BTW, Rosie, who only recently started, may be going back to TV.

O&A.. ba, who cares

Opra and Martha.. never are on their own channels anyway. they were a waste of money, never bring in new subs and have dismal listenership. Sirius screwed the pooch on those deals. HS is the only one that paid off and bought in measurable subs.. to bad this might be his last year. Or, will be, unless he decides to extend at the end of the year. but when you hear him talk about it, it kinds seems like he has 1 foot out the door... but so many years makes it a hard decision.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the "online access" will work, once full "current" Flash support is available. I can currently login, access my favorites, and change the stations, but the "Flash Player" does not render fully, as there are no play/stop/volume buttons, and no audio, with Flash 9.4 (Nokia N900).

With my old WinMo 6.1 phone, thru AT&T, it only allowed access to the top 25 stations? I think it was also extra to have access. Kinda' whack, since online access is free for most subscribers.

I listen 8+ hours a day on my computer. I use a Mac and mine pops QT.. so no Flash required. But, we cant use QT either :)

I think the app will be the better way to go if you want to listen mobile.

Upvote 0
I hope it works better than Pandora (which is so lame that I can't even fathom why people would use the paid version.)

That begs the question:
Why are music players on this thing so terrible?

Are you serious? Pandora is amazing! I had to pay for it because I blew the forty hour mark in 5 days and now I get the high quality and unlimited skips and no ads. I do not know what possibly makes you hate so much but I am pretty sure you are in a very small group who does not like it.

Upvote 0
Opie and Anthony are a bunch of no talent ***s! If they were so funny, how come they went back to regular radio and failed miserably? How many subscribers did they bring to XM? Like 3? Back to the topic, Pandora is way better if you just want music and its free. After the trial of the sirius app, you have to pay extra to listen to Sirius online or on your phone. Without Howard Stern available on the app, it's not worth it to me.
Ba Ba Boey to you all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones