• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Six "big" Transformer questions

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Returned my A500 due to wifi seeming to be unstable in low signal areas (my gTablet is FAR better in regards to wifi). I REALLY like the A500, but need solid wifi function (the one and only thing the gTablet did right). Though I will still get another A500 to see if the wifi issue was a fluke, I am strongly considering the 32gb Transformer- depending on my six questions that would appreciate answers
smile.gif

1. How is the wifi reception and stability in low signal areas? My A500 would connect and disconnect about every five minutes in low signal areas, but stable in good reception areas. Almost like the wifi power toggles up and down and you only notice it in low signal areas, since the power drops compromise the signal connection (my guess, at least).

2. How is the internal storage read by computers? The A500 is read as a portable device, which is problematic for transferring all data as a back-up. The copy function can simply stop and not post a warning that the transfer was not complete. A logical drive is better, since normal drive data access and transfer.

3. How much of the internal storage is free? Out of box, the A500 has 12.5gb free and the rest taken by format parameters, stock apps and the OS.

4. Does the Trans allow app installs if less than 1gb free internal space? The A500 will not install apps if there is less than 1gb internal storage. This means the actual net internal space is 11.5gb, since 1gb of the 12.5gb out of box, is useless. If Trans has the same issue, it is a Honeycomb problem.

5. Batter life? I appreciate this is a very subjective subject, but I would generally expect the IPS display to provide at least 30 minutes more battery life compared to the A500. I read mixed reports about battery life on the Transformer.

6. How easy is the Trans to root? The A500 can be rooted by simply installing an app and running it. Even more simple than the gTablet. I do not care about kernel mods, just want Titanium and some bloat to go away.

TIA!

4. Does the Trans allow app installs if less than 1gb free internal space? The A500 will not install apps if there is less than 1gb internal storage. This means the actual net internal space is 11.5gb, since 1gb of the 12.5gb out of box, is useless. If Trans has the same issue, it is a Honeycomb problem.

Just wondering where did you hear it was 1gb? I thought it was 2gb, since I ran across this problem on the Iconia and had to do some deleting myself.

SortaEdit: And I just found something that says it's 3gb on the Xoom.

Installing apps or updates, doesn't seem to be working?

By general consensus, it looks the the required minimum available internal storage space is around 3GB. I am hope to find more info, but this looks like a decent rule of thumb.

That fits with me having 3gb free when I was able to install new apps again.

SortaEdit 2: Just installed this WWE app and updated Doubletwist on 1.94GB free space. So it's 1gb as you said. I wonder if it's higher on other tablets, or maybe Google is requiring the makers to have some limit?

Upvote 0
Just wondering where did you hear it was 1gb? I thought it was 2gb, since I ran across this problem on the Iconia and had to do some deleting myself.

SortaEdit: And I just found something that says it's 3gb on the Xoom.

Installing apps or updates, doesn't seem to be working?

By general consensus, it looks the the required minimum available internal storage space is around 3GB. I am hope to find more info, but this looks like a decent rule of thumb.

That fits with me having 3gb free when I was able to install new apps again.

SortaEdit 2: Just installed this WWE app and updated Doubletwist on 1.94GB free space. So it's 1gb as you said. I wonder if it's higher on other tablets, or maybe Google is requiring the makers to have some limit?

I get the issue with less than 1gb free. If I go just a few mb under 1gb, I can not install apps. If I have 1.1gb free, I can install apps, up untill I breach 1gb free again. I have tested several times to validate. So you are saying 1gb is not the worst example of this issue? Android's got some splainin' to do about Honeycomb :eek:

Seems a Honeycomb goof, since the space is not used for anything. Ram is the operational memory, unless Honeycomb does some funky cache using flash which is a tad silly.

Upvote 0
Nah, I'm saying rushmore was right about the Iconia. I must've had under 1gb when I tried to install and ran into the problem last time. The advice I ran into said 2-3gb, like the link above.

Still an apparently lame mess up by Android, none the less. Create dynamic storage in Honeycomb, but also a 1gb dead-zone that can not be used. We would be better off with a fixed allocation for device and media storage. That way, we do NOT lose 1gb. Nuts.

Upvote 0
Maybe a good reason to go 32gb...haha.

In regards to wifi, I'll ride the bike at the gym and use my Epic on wifi, or try to, but it constantly disconnects because it can't hold a signal. Brought my TF on Thursday and it was rock solid with the signal. Fits perfectly on the magazine rest too. Will have to start doing the movie and show thing on it. So much nicer than the cardio theater screens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones