• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Siyah Gingerbread kernel (v2.x)

Alright, my battery life has doubled! I think Siyah may have helped, but I also think that the Bravia thing I had was draining my battery big time.

So before Saturday my battery would die after about 14hrs. I'd only recently noticed the short lifespan. On Saturday I installed the Samsung ICS 'custom' rom. That wasn't great so I tried restoring. Long story short, I had to reinstall CheckRom and lost about a fortnight of data, which included the installation of the Bravia app. I updated to Siyah 2.5.2b and charged to full about 26 hours ago. It's on 28%! I played the full new Toolbox level of Cut the Rope, played some Angry Birds and basically used it the same as normal yesterday. So I can only say that the Bravia thing I had was draining my battery and Siyah 2.5.2b is awesome!

Upvote 0
I've changed phone to disconnect wifi when the screen is off, so I'll be interested to see what the deep sleep state is tonight.

I have my Wi-Fi sleep policy set to, "Never when charging", as I found that, "Screen off", used a lot more battery by disconnecting and re-connecting every time the screen closed down or woke up.

Upvote 0
I'm not entirely sure about this wifi sleep poilicy.
1. Screen off. This will turn off wifi when the screen goes off and re-invoke it when you fire it back to life.
2. Never when plugged in. This will behave in EXACTLY the same way as (1.) unless you have the charger plugged in. In which case, wifi will remain on.
3. Never. Self explanatory. Wifi is always on.

So when you think about it, the first 2 options are identical unless charging. This to me is pretty pointless. It would be better to have an extra policy to be able to put wifi to sleep after [n] minutes after screen off.

As for the pointless Bravia CheckROM mod, if you want to uninstall it you need to:

1. Extract build.prop from the original ROM .zip
2. paste it into /system
3. ensure permissions for this file are rwxrwxrwx
4. delete /system/etc/be_movie and /system/etc/be_photo
5. reboot

Upvote 0
1. Screen off. This will turn off wifi when the screen goes off and re-invoke it when you fire it back to life.
2. Never when plugged in. This will behave in EXACTLY the same way as (1.) unless you have the charger plugged in. In which case, wifi will remain on.

So when you think about it, the first 2 options are identical unless charging. This to me is pretty pointless. It would be better to have an extra policy to be able to put wifi to sleep after [n] minutes after screen off.

Thanks old boy!

I've been using, "Never when plugged in", since my Nexus One days because I was advised to on a forum.

Never really thought about it since then. Will give it a whirl on, "Never". ;)

Upvote 0
I think it depends on how you use your device butty.
If your forever picking it up and putting it down, then option (3) would be best.
If you put it down for hours on end (eg. overnight) then (1) or (2) would be best, leaning towards (2).
Remember, when wifi is on, it will constantly be scanning for networks refreshing its list every 6 seconds approx, which will consume battery.
On the other hand, the process of re-enabling wifi will in itself consume battery, so its swings and roundabouts.
This is why I think it would be much better to have a "sleep [n] minutes after screen off" type of option.

I tend to stick to option (2) anyway. Think its probably the best policy overall.
However, I'll put it on never for tonight just to see how it affects battery drain

Upvote 0
I think I may have got to the bottom of this. I checked CPUSpy this morning and saw that my phone had been running at 100Mhz for over 7 hrs overnight. This worried me but then after reading some other threads - co-incidentally - it dawned on me that my wifi was set as "never sleep". I've changed phone to disconnect wifi when the screen is off, so I'll be interested to see what the deep sleep state is tonight.

I have wifi constantly on, with a 'never' sleep policy & have been getting deep sleeps of over 80%.

Interestingly, I turned wifi off for the first time in ages last night & after 14hours have only been getting 66% deep sleep. 200mhz is the offender with 27% usage, but strangely 100mhz hasnt been used. No wakelocks to report either :thinking:

Would this be down to the phone switching between HSPA/ 3G/ GPRS etc?

Upvote 0
I have wifi constantly on, with a 'never' sleep policy & have been getting deep sleeps of over 80%.

Interestingly, I turned wifi off for the first time in ages last night & after 14hours have only been getting 66% deep sleep. 200mhz is the offender with 27% usage, but strangely 100mhz hasnt been used. No wakelocks to report either :thinking:

Would this be down to the phone switching between HSPA/ 3G/ GPRS etc?

Keeping wifi on constantly shouldn't cause wakelocks per-se.
However spurious wakelocks are not the only culprit for battery drain overnight of course. When wifi is on constantly, it polls every 6 seconds or so for available networks. This in itself doesn't cause wakelocks, but it will impact on the battery.

A wakelock that needs internet access will drain more battery when wifi is off as it has to restart wifi first then do what it needs to do, then shut wifi off again. So if you have lots of wifi-based wakelocks overnight and are not bothered about them (or they are there because you expect them to be) then a wifi sleep policy of "never" is probably better battery-wise.

If you have very few wifi-based wakelocks overnight, then a sleep policy of "screen off" or "never when plugged in" will be the best policy.

As for your unused 100Mhz, do you have 100Mhz set as your min in SetCPU/Voltage Control? Perhaps your min is 200Mhz?

Upvote 0
Sorry, maybe it wasnt too clear - but my deep sleep is a lot better with wifi on.

My settings are as per gokhammoral suggested, min 100 max 800. Was getting good battery from it also.

I did have a couple of strange things last night. When battery got down to about 15% I tried to open my phone, but the lock screen froze. Nothing would work, so had to remove the battery. Later on when on about 10% the phone randomly turned off.

Upvote 0
Sorry, maybe it wasnt too clear - but my deep sleep is a lot better with wifi on.

My settings are as per gokhammoral suggested, min 100 max 800. Was getting good battery from it also.

I did have a couple of strange things last night. When battery got down to about 15% I tried to open my phone, but the lock screen froze. Nothing would work, so had to remove the battery. Later on when on about 10% the phone randomly turned off.

Sounds like thats an issue with coming out of deep sleep, or you have a power saving policy set. (eg. "use power saving mode" is ticked in the Power settings)
I would either change your governor (perhaps to conservative), set the min to 200Mhz, or untick that option I mentioned if it is in fact ticked.

Reactions: ooberandy
Upvote 0
Sounds like thats an issue with coming out of deep sleep, or you have a power saving policy set. (eg. "use power saving mode" is ticked in the Power settings)
I would either change your governor (perhaps to conservative), set the min to 200Mhz, or untick that option I mentioned if it is in fact ticked.

I have a screen off profile in SetCPU of 100 & 500. No power saving mode is set in power settings either.

100MHz now seems to being used also...

Upvote 0
I have a screen off profile in SetCPU of 100 & 500. No power saving mode is set in power settings either.

100MHz now seems to being used also...

Are you using a different governor for your screen off profile to your standard governor. Some different governors aren't compatible
see here
Its in the first post under "question time".
If you're using lulzactive there's no need for a screen off policy as it has one built in which will always use you lowest frequency.

Upvote 0

As for the pointless Bravia CheckROM mod, if you want to uninstall it you need to:

1. Extract build.prop from the original ROM .zip
2. paste it into /system
3. ensure permissions for this file are rwxrwxrwx
4. delete /system/etc/be_movie and /system/etc/be_photo
5. reboot

Hi where can I find the build.prop from the original rom zip?
I want to attempt this at some point. it looks fairly easy lol.

Upvote 0
you need to download and install a windows freeware utility called 7zip
right click on the KK5 checkrom .zip file then in the popup menu select 7zip>open archive
go into system
drag build.prop onto the desktop
copy and paste this from the desktop onto your phone (anywhere)
in your phone, open up rootexplorer or similar, then copy this file you just copied and paste it into /system
while your there, go to the etc folder in system and delete those 2 files i mentioned
reboot

Reactions: stephen2529
Upvote 0
great thanks.
Ill have to do it later as im at work Unless there is some where I can down load it from?
Im using criskelo rom at the moment. will the same file be located in that rom? Im guessing it will be but it dont hurt to double check.

it will certainly be in there, but chances are they are slightly different, as rom developers almost always put their own tweaks into it. GadgetCheck certainly does.
I would wait until you have the CheckROM .zip file to hand just to be on the safe side.

Upvote 0
Where do you set the wifi sleep policy? I couldn't find it in Settings (Cyanogenmod + Siyah 2.5.2b).
menu>settings>wireless+networks>wifi settings>menu>advanced>wifi sleep policy

HA HA.
Have you seen what Gokhan has posted up?
Sydney's personal kernel

:D :D :D

I cant wait for this download to become live :)

Upvote 0
He's gonna have his work cut out if he keeps on doing personal requests;)

Btw 2.5.2b on 100-800 is super fast still and barry does indeed seem much better. Absolutely caned my phone yesterday, on constantly, and still 40% by end of the day. This am much more modest, but still some browsing, texts, forums etc and still on 95%. Happy days. For me this is the best kernel yet, and I love the flexibility of changing it from super battery saving to super performance.

Am still going to have to give s99 a go though:)

EDIT: not going to correct the typo above, out of respect to barry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones