• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Siyah Gingerbread kernel (v2.x)

v2.2 beta7 (font courtesy of Rudedawg.)

WAKEY! WAKEY! Boys and girls... Siyah 2.2beta7 is up. :D

Changelog:

added Cyanogenmod native led notifications (thanks to DvTonder). You may need to install CM7 again as my previous kernels were copying liblights over the original one. From this version on it will be copied only on samsung roms.
reverted back to TREE_RCU
updated AOSP part of the initramfs to cm7-nightly-111.
some usb driver modifications. I tested adb, usb mass storage (mounting both internal&external storage) and OTG in samsung and cm7 roms (both with and without usb debugging enabled). I hope there is no more usb problems.
auto-installation of ntfs-3g. it will be copied to /system/xbin.
initramfs cleanup and compression of some rarely used files.

See... you're far too slow and premature Rudedawg! ;)

http://www.gokhanmoral.com/

Upvote 0

:D:D:D

Oh Sydney99!

Laughing bits of my anatomy off.

Sorry mate... did it not go well earlier then?

UPDATE

Outwardly, no different to beta6. So I'm going to try smartassv2 governor with no profiles and... undervolt (for the first time ever) by 75 on each one... I think this is something Slug does... so I can blame him.

Upvote 0
I'm going to [...] undervolt (for the first time ever) by 75 on each one... I think this is something Slug does... so I can blame him.

I strongly advise starting small and testing each freq step for stability between changes. Just because my CPU will suffer -75mV is no indication that all others will too. Whatever you do DON'T enable "set on boot" until you're confident of reliability!

Upvote 0
I strongly advise starting small and testing each freq step for stability between changes. Just because my CPU will suffer -75mV is no indication that all others will too. Whatever you do DON'T enable "set on boot" until you're confident of reliability!

Well... that's a helluva time to tell me!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Only joking. I did remember, from one of your previous posts on the subject, about not setting Apply on Boot straight away.

Although I will admit to going in at -75 on all levels straight away. This is the first kernel + ROM combination where I actually feel happy at doing that.

No discernible loss of performance. Too early to tell on battery.

Upvote 0
Using my formulae, described here:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...-root/444144-tegrak-2nd-core.html#post3452205

plus my own observations of deep sleep and wakelocks, the 2.2beta7 is not performing as well for me as the 2.2beta6.

If anything, my phone usage in the last 20 or so hours, has been less than usual and I would have expected a lower percentage than usual. However, I'm getting a higher % than beta6... bearing in mind i am undervolted as well.

Am switching back to beta6 for awhile whilst things are quiet.

Upvote 0
Don't you have to go through a full discharge/charge cycle after new kernel before you can assess battery our is that a load of rubbish?

Normally I would give it three days before making any decisions but considering my usage, or lack of usage, in the last 20+ hours and the amount of wakelocks and WiFi on I'm showing... I decided to go back to beta6 again to see how that fares whilst I'm quiet.

Upvote 0
Running beta 6 and took my phone for a heavy test run yesterday. Went for a family trip to Glastonbury for their annual street carnival. Had my phone recording video with flash in full HD on and off for 3 hours and by the time we drove back to Salisbury my battery was still at 49% and considering when we left Southampton for Somerset my phone was only at 90% Id say that wasn't bad at all. :)

20111112_200949.jpg

Upvote 0
Dont install beta7
there is a bug that prevents the 2nd core coming online.
I have confirmed this. Only 1 core is ever up (at least in dynamic mode) so I'm sticking with beta6 until beta8 emerges.

Cheers old boy!

It vindicates my decision to revert back to 2.2beta6 earlier today. Beta7 just wasn't cutting the mustard. :(

Upvote 0
Siyah 2.2beta8 is up! :D

Changelog:
fixed touchpad backlight not turning off
fixed usb tethering problem in samsung roms
fixed the bug which prevents second core to become active
,fixed bluetooth problems with AOSP ROMs.
reverted some optimizations which were causing graphics problems/instabilities
read-only auto-mounting of ntfs volumes to /mnt/usb/[partitionName] folder. it is readonly because I have no control from the kernel side to “click here to safely remove” feature. if you want to mount them read-write, use your own script to remount them and don’t forget to unmount before removing the device. you can find ntfs-3g in /system/xbin after installing this kernel. mounting ntfs in read/write mode and removing it safely will be supported by the tool (application) that I am working on.

Hope this is better than beta7.

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0
No issues with beta8 for me butty.
i dont know if bln works yet, but the bln app allows me to enable
wifi working ok, as is 2nd core

are you sure you didnt reflash beta7 old fella? :)

Double, double, checking!

Definitely on beta8. Re-flasing now.

Re-flashed and BLN control - Pro is still disabled and Wi-Fi not connecting. :(

I did update in last post that 2nd Core is working for me.

UPDATE

The developer, gokhanmoral, has posted that there is a mistake on BLN, and other things, that will be rectified in beta9.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL] SiyahKernel v2.1 - "One kernel to rule them all" (SAMMY&AOSP ROMs)

Thank goodness, I thought I was losing the plot. :eek:

Upvote 0
Back on Siyah 2.2 beta8 now.

I had to reset my home Wi-Fi which, prior to beta8, was connecting fine with the phone... and am now connected again. :)

The other weird thing is that I have had BLN Control pro for some time now and disabled the Schedule on it at the very beginning. However, I notice that when I went into it... it was enabled to "off" from 22.00 hrs to 07.00 hrs.

I have now, again deleted the schedule and BLN is now working. :)

It could be a coincidence with the Wi-Fi and BLN but all seems OK at the moment so I'll keep beta8 to see how things go.

Upvote 0
Glad its sorted for you butty, but I shall be awaiting beta9.

If any of you are getting bln problems, this may be a temparary fix

Its strange that there is no documentation of BLN being pre-cooked in this ROM in the changelogs. Its always been a post-installation mod via the kitchen on all previous versions of this rom, including the old Revolution days.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else seeing core issue in Beta 8? I've flashed it but I'm really not sure the second core is kicking in despite being on dynamic hotplug setting (the back of my phone is getting pretty bloody warm too...) so I've reverted back to Beta 6 until I'm sure. Battery's getting spanked in Beta 8 too, although that could be as a result of too much concerned fiddling on my part!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones