• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Siyah kernel - Dummies Guide

Essentially, the same as Syd, parag1dubey.

Stock Siyah settings, the defaults in Recovery are not enabled anyway on this beta. BLN settings are checked in STweaks as I use that an awful lot. Voltage Control is just used to double check that my stock JB Power Saving options are being enacted in conjunction with Siyah... no VC settings being used.

Reactions: parag1dubey
Upvote 0
This may be coincidental but since flashing Siyah beta, beautiful widget's homescreen clock widget has stopped displaying time. Rest of widget shows/works fine but it doesnt display hours/minutes.

Have to force close, clear data then re set up app every few hours.

Any one else use this app/having similar problems?

I didnt have exactly the same probs but couldnt any of the weather locations for my beautiful widget's weather to work,gone back to Jeboo again until problems have been sorted out with Siyah

Upvote 0
Can anyone give a definitive answer to the question, what is better for battery life? Siyah or Philz or jeboo on neatrom JB? :(

Everyones will be different, but Siyah, even beta version, is miles better than Philz. My battery life's improved tenfold.

I didnt try Jeboo & probably wont now as am getting near what i want.

Reactions: parag1dubey
Upvote 0
Hm.. I managed to flash it through CWM after running KernelWiper but I still have The same problem as before with Siyah 6.04 beta :(
1. screen dim after 15sec but stays awake as long as I don't push lock button
2. after connecting it to AC plug he continues to think that is still AC pluged. Beterbattery stats show that I'm for example lose 5,10 or 20%/hrs but he thinks that battery will last forever :)

going back to Philz I guess :(

Upvote 0
A word of warning to you ROM flashers on Siyah for the JB leak.

The JB leak is too big to store all its required /system/apps in the /system partition. To get around this, it stores the system apps in a /preload partition and then symlinks these to /system.

Siyah's CWM Backup does not seem to back up/ restore this /preload partition.

Therefore, if you install a ROM and then decide you don't like it, if you revert back to your Siyah-CWM backup, then /preload will not get restored. This will effectively mean you have your new ROM's system applications on your old ROM. This is not good.

PhilZ 3.71 seems to do this properly. I do not know about later versions, but the latest PhilZ 3.99 certainly does not back this up neither. I don't know if Jeboo backs up preload, so I will have to test this. So to do a FULL JB backup, flash PhilZ 3.71 before doing so.

for this you will need to:
a) reboot into recovery
b) flash PhilZ
c) go to advanced>reboot recovery
d) make your backup in PhilZ recovery
and if you want to revert back to Siyah:
e) flash Siyah
f) advanced>reboot recovery

If you ever need to restore, and you are using Siyah then you will need to:
a) reboot into recovery
b) flash PhilZ
c) go to advanced>reboot recovery
d) restore your backup in PhilZ recovery
e) flash Siyah
f) reboot

EDIT:
3.99 DOES back up the /preload partition, but you must tell it specifically to do so:
1. boot into PhilZ recovery
2. Philz settings
3. Special backup and restore
4. Misc nandroid settings
5. Toggle /preload processing (make sure this says /preload will be processed)

I really like the new PhilZ 3.99 feature that incorporates the name of the ROM into the CWM backup folder name. Very nice touch for flashaholics! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Hawker, old bean!

It seems obvious now that you have put it in writing. Gokhanmoral said in his xda thread that it was a stumbling block for his JB kernel as there was not enough room for it and he would have to do a work around. I just did not realise what the ramifications of this were.

EDIT:
3.99 DOES back up the /preload partition, but you must tell it specifically to do so:
1. boot into PhilZ recovery
2. Philz settings
3. Special backup and restore
4. Misc nandroid settings
5. Toggle /preload processing (make sure this says /preload will be processed)

I really like the new PhilZ 3.99 feature that incorporates the name of the ROM into the CWM backup folder name. Very nice touch for flashaholics! :)

It would appear that once you have set the toggle in PhilZ that it sticks on, "Preload will be processed", for future backups or until you change kernel.

I must say that I also like the ROM naming feature as it saves a lot of time going back and adding the details manually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones