• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SiyahKernel v6 beta5 Battery Drain

Folks, im a bit of a noob so please be gentle!! I recently swapped my Galaxy S2 from Orange UK network to GiffGaff (runs on the O2 network). I wanted to remove all of the Orange apps so rooted my phone using the Siyah kernel V6. All went well with the installation and app removal but i have noticed high battery drain. I used to get at least 16 hours up time with medium use.

Im now getting just over 12 hours with very light use. Im putting the drain down to the screen but i haven't changed the brightness which is already set low and i have power saving enabled. I have played with Stweak settings using advice from this forum which has helped but still not as good as stock.

Can anyone offer me some advice? Also, if i want to un-root, do i just flash the stock kernel (already downloaded from Sammobile) using Odin or do i need to do anything beforehand? Is there another kernel that might be better? If so, can i just install it over the top of Siyah? I just dont want to brick my phone!

PDA: I9100XWLSY
Phone: I9100BVLS4
CSC: I9100ORALS8
Android Version: Stock 4.1.2

Thanks in advance!!

Folks, im a bit of a noob so please be gentle!! I recently swapped my Galaxy S2 from Orange UK network to GiffGaff (runs on the O2 network). I wanted to remove all of the Orange apps so rooted my phone using the Siyah kernel V6. All went well with the installation and app removal but i have noticed high battery drain. I used to get at least 16 hours up time with medium use.

Im now getting just over 12 hours with very light use. Im putting the drain down to the screen but i haven't changed the brightness which is already set low and i have power saving enabled. I have played with Stweak settings using advice from this forum which has helped but still not as good as stock.

Can anyone offer me some advice? Also, if i want to un-root, do i just flash the stock kernel (already downloaded from Sammobile) using Odin or do i need to do anything beforehand? Is there another kernel that might be better? If so, can i just install it over the top of Siyah? I just dont want to brick my phone!

PDA: I9100XWLSY
Phone: I9100BVLS4
CSC: I9100ORALS8
Android Version: Stock 4.1.2

Thanks in advance!!

There may be several reasons for your increased battery drain...

Switching to GiffGaff, (O2), network whilst still on an Orange modem, BVLS4. Perhaps consider flashing a generic modem, such as the RIL+modem combo of XXMS3 by using the instructions in the Modems - Dummies Guide.

Alternatively, you could just go the whole hog and flash the latest KitKat, Android 4.4.2, ROM which is proving very popular and reliable.

Also, if you have removed/frozen apps, make sure that none of them were critical for your firmware. See, Bloatware: Stock app removal guide

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Sadly switching networks hasn't been the reason, i switched in November and only rooted last week. I have only removed apps like Your Orange and Orange Wednesday etc so i doubt i have removed anything critical to the running of the phone, but i may of. I also experienced high drain the day after i rooted, the phone lasted 7 hours and that was before i had removed any apps.

I will look at changing modems as suggested. I would also like to change to KitKat but im a bit nervous about going that far! I know there is a wealth of information on this site but finding the right kernels, roms etc etc, it all gets a bit mind boggling!! I also just become a dad for the first time, so a working phone is a must. Hope you can advise a little further, i am keen to try and get this resolved!

Upvote 0
Here are the basic steps to flashing NEAT ROM KitKat, (which closely follows the stock KitKat on Google Editiion devices), which is very slick and fast without all the Samsung frills.

Do a nandroid, Titanium and /efs file backups. See #2.7 & #2.8 of the Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide.

Now follow the instructions from the developer in post #2, here, on how to download and flash the AOSP NeatROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100, Android 4.4.2, and Google Apps package v5.6, (gapps) shown in post #1 of that thread.

If you get stuck, the developer, salesale, is a member of Android Forums and will help you out. See, Neat ROM.

Reactions: Diverdave80
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice. I will install the modem first and see how that goes. I would like to try KitKat but its a leap into the unknown and i dont want to make things worse without knowing how to get back to stock. I will let you know how it goes but i might not reply for a week or so, having a baby in the house, things never happen as quick as you would like these days!

Upvote 0
Here are the basic steps to flashing NEAT ROM KitKat, (which closely follows the stock KitKat on Google Editiion devices), which is very slick and fast without all the Samsung frills.

Do a nandroid, Titanium and /efs file backups. See #2.7 & #2.8 of the Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide.

Now follow the instructions from the developer in post #2, here, on how to download and flash the AOSP NeatROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100, Android 4.4.2, and Google Apps package v5.6, (gapps) shown in post #1 of that thread.

If you get stuck, the developer, salesale, is a member of Android Forums and will help you out. See, Neat ROM.

Well i take my hat off to you sir! I followed your advice and i am now running NeatROM 4.4.3 and its a breath of fresh air. Will have to see how the battery life fairs but the new ROM looks great!

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones