• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sizes of EXT and FAT32? Using Link2SD

norweger

Sep 27, 2011
Hi

I have an HTC M8, rooted with CM12 installed. I plan to use Link2SD.

The stuff that's large in size are:
  • Snapchat
  • Gmail
  • YouTube
  • AnkiDroid
  • Google drive local files
  • Chrome
  • Audiobooks
Should I then partition the 128 GB SD card like 50 GB for EXT and 78 GB for FAT32?

Guessing the only thing of these that you'd need FAT32 for is AnkiDroid, and audiobooks.

Last edited:
What data are you planning to move to sd-ext? Link2SD has a number of options, and how much space you'll want will depend on what you move. In particular unless you get it to move app data you won't need anything like that large a partition (if you look I'm sure you'll find that it's those apps' data that are using a lot of space rather than the apps themselves). Of course moving data does bring some of the drawbacks of formatting a card as internal, namely increased card wear.

Can you really not store audio books on a regular fat32 card (or partition)? Or do you use some control-freaky app that keeps the media as its private data rather than on the user-accessible part of the storage?

Upvote 0
What data are you planning to move to sd-ext? Link2SD has a number of options, and how much space you'll want will depend on what you move. In particular unless you get it to move app data you won't need anything like that large a partition (if you look I'm sure you'll find that it's those apps' data that are using a lot of space rather than the apps themselves). Of course moving data does bring some of the drawbacks of formatting a card as internal, namely increased card wear.

Can you really not store audio books on a regular fat32 card (or partition)? Or do you use some control-freaky app that keeps the media as its private data rather than on the user-accessible part of the storage?

I am trying to move as much data as I can to the SD card. I got the HTC M8 on Friday, and factory reset it, then rooted, and installed apps. After installing all the aforementioned apps, the phone is slower. So I assume it'll get faster if I move all the stuff to the SD card.

I will have to move all the data from Snapchat, because many large videos are stored in that app. I will soon install Messenger and Instagram as well, and I'd want them on the SD card. My AnkiDroid flashcards are about 1GB.

All the audiobooks will be on the SD card. Which will be some 30-40 GB, and they'll be stored as regular mp3 files, in any folder of my choosing. I will use ES explorer to put audiobooks on the SD card. But I don't know if this is FAT32 or EXT, nor what fraction is most suitable for my use.

Your input is so much appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: achrefdl
Upvote 0
first off es explorer i would not use. there is a reason it was removed from the play store. use any other file explorer....root explorer is a better one to use especially if your phone is rooted.

second any size should be fine with what you want to do. just keep in mind that moving the whole app to the card will create more wear and tear on the card increasing the likely hood of your card failing at some point later down the line.

Reactions: norweger
Upvote 0
first off es explorer i would not use. there is a reason it was removed from the play store. use any other file explorer....root explorer is a better one to use especially if your phone is rooted.

second any size should be fine with what you want to do. just keep in mind that moving the whole app to the card will create more wear and tear on the card increasing the likely hood of your card failing at some point later down the line.

ES File Explorer, wasn't that app removed due to click fraud? That they cash in on clicking some Google Ads. I think the explorer is marvelous, and it's hard to find a good replacement, as they're integrated with my cloud storage. If it indeed is more troublesome stuff than click fraud, I guess I should part with it. I will check out Root Explorer though, thanks for the tip!

Wear and tear, yes. Maybe nandroid backup or titanium backup or something would make it easier to restore in case of crash. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
ES File Explorer, wasn't that app removed due to click fraud? That they cash in on clicking some Google Ads. I think the explorer is marvelous, and it's hard to find a good replacement, as they're integrated with my cloud storage. If it indeed is more troublesome stuff than click fraud, I guess I should part with it. I will check out Root Explorer though, thanks for the tip!

Wear and tear, yes. Maybe nandroid backup or titanium backup or something would make it easier to restore in case of crash. Thanks for the heads up!
yes click fraud among other controversies. they were removed from the play store for a reason. most people here would advise you to move to a different app.....so use at your own risk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones