• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sizzling noise then Charging + Charger doesn't work

Hey, I've very recently noticed that my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) has been getting really hot around the charging port. I woke up today at 5am to sizzling and hissing noises, noticing the smell of a fire. It was the sound of my phone sizzling while it was charging. I panicked, removed the back and unplugged the device. I noticed some discharge on the back of the phone when taking the back of the case off... So i wiped it off and tried to see what was happening. I plugged the phone back in with the same lead and once again, the lead gets piping hot and smells like a fire is about to break out by the lead. Also, by the point my phone seems to not be able to charge anymore. So I thought it might be the lead because of how bad the lead smelt while i was charging my phone with it. So when trying to use another lead, the phone still doesn't charge but yet again the lead gets to high temperatures, almost burning the lead.

Can anyone help me out here? I don't know what i need to do or what has happened to my phone...

Thank you for reading.

Reactions: Tavatchaina
Take it back to your carrier

Certainly a good idea to bring it to either a local store for your carrier or an independent phone shop.
However the most important piece of advice we can give you here is to stop using the phone IMMEDIATELY. Remove the battery and place it in a secure container (note if the battery is swollen, this indicates it's damaged or at the end of its useful life). Don't attempt to plug it in any more until you can have it looked at.
This may be inconvenient since you won't have the use of your phone, but it beats the alternative scenario of a fire which sounds imminent based on your description.
It may turn out that the phone only needs a relatively simple repair like a new charging port, or there could be a more serious internal problem. Either way given the age of the S4 it may be best to replace it with something more recent.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Sounds like the Micro USB charging port is damaged/shorting. These units cost less than $10 and would take just a few minutes to replace. You can test your battery for distortion by placing it on a flat surface. If the battery rocks about when you touch it - it is probably overheated which causes it to swell out of shape. New battery is required. Get a quote for replacing the charging port assy as there are 3 different types for S4's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones