1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Skinomi Screen Protector - Streaky Rainbow Effect? XO Skins Question?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nazz, Dec 23, 2011.

1. nazz

nazz Newbie

I installed the Skinomi screen protector 5 days ago and I have noticed there is a streaky rainbow effect, especially noticeable when the screen is white. Is this normal?

This is my first screen protector, so I have nothing to compare it to. There is some orange peel as well. I've seen great reviews for the XO Skins lately. Anyone own both Skinomi and XO in the past and can provide some feedback on Rainbow Effects and Orange Peel? Which is better?

Actually, any feedback on XO skins would be appreciated! Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

No orange peel here on XO. Took about four hours for the bubbles to disappear. This is normal for XO, apparently.

3. edge

edge Android Enthusiast

4. edge

edge Android Enthusiast

I have the regular fit, i would assume its just trimmed a tiny bit, enough that the case wont pick at it.

5. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

So does the regular fit span edge to edge while the case fit is trimmed a little? And do you have a case on?

6. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

i guess xo skins sent me the "case fit" one, as it leaves a pretty good amount of the screen unprotected on the bottom edge. not happy. the left and right edges are slightly unprotected as well.

it does have a rubbery feel, and slight orange peel affect too. it's not "perfection" as some on here have claimed.

also, i've just noticed it does reduce touch sensitivity a bit :eek:

i'm returning it and looking for another brand at the moment too

7. reggie16

reggie16 Member

i just applied my XO case. Gonna let it sit overnight to cure. ill post a picture. I have the case fit and it does leave some exposed at the bottom. Ill be interested to see what it looks like tomorrow with my incipio case.

8. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member

mine look exactly like the one on right :/ (its zaggy invisible -:mad: shield)

9. Rabban

Rabban Newbie

i use boxwave protector there is no orange peel

BTW is that part in the video with all that water the thing being applied?? where he's like scraping a watery surface??

strange application method, if you ask me.

10. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

i have always used klearkare screen protectors, but decided to switch to a steinheil flex after the klearkare had the same rainbow streaks you are describing. well, i guess i was wrong in assuming that because the steinheil costs 7x as much, it would be better. steinheil flex is now on and leaving the exact same streaks as the "cheap" protectors. :(

as much as i want to use a screen protector on this thing, there just don't seem to be any good options. my next step would have been to go to a dry application style like the steinheil crystal, but SGP said that they are not making one for the GNex yesterday on twitter. :mad:

11. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Android Enthusiast

I pre ordered mine from XO and when I did they only had one style, so Im not sure which coverage I have. But I personally like the feel of protector and it has a very minimal orange peel effect when compared to the other companies. I dont notice any streaky rainbow effect on either my GNex or GTab 10.1 which both have XO on them. I wrote a review for my XO installed on my tablet if you wanna take a read. Its in my signature below.

12. edge

edge Android Enthusiast

How did it fit with your case? I have the regular fit right now

13. johnnyutahjig

johnnyutahjig Lurker

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person bothered by the orange peel effect!!

Has anyone else tried skinpea's anti rippling screen protectors? I use them right now and it might be better than xo. I had xo screens before but it peeled off a little in the corner and had to replace it. To me, skinpea looks clearer and more durable? i'm not sure how to explain it, but the side and back protection feels more solid, or thicker.

Here's a few comparison pictures that I took with my friend's zagg (attached).

Attached Files:

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews