• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype 4.0.017847

Denise51

Jul 2, 2013
I have just upgraded to this latest skype for my Galaxy S3. I am beginning to wish I never did.

I cannot switch it off, its running all the time. There seems to be no quit or exit for this version. Also there seems to be no settings either on the menu button. I have had to restart my phone to stop skype, and then it automatically signs me in if a open the application again.

And the whole process starts again restart the phone to kill it, I have now also done a Force Stop through the applications manager.

Is there any other way beside uninstalling it for good. Thank you.

Far upper right, little circle with you in it.

Tap that, shows your availability, etc etc.

Tap menu from there - you can sign out, and get to settings.

The only way I know how to prevent apps from auto-starting is if your phone is rooted. If yours is, let me know and I can help with that.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Upvote 0
(DANG YOU EARLYMON and your being a ninja!)

Settings and logging out are: Profile > Settings (fyi profile is your icon in upper right now)

This is something they need to fix. From the home screen it is now three taps to exit (IF you know what to do). Before it was one tap on the homescreen + a confirmation.

That needs to be fixed.... and I can't seem to make the enter button "send" like it was before. So now I have a bunch of messages that just sit there that I thought I sent cause I hit enter on the keyboard and didn't press that unassuming little arrow above the keyboard

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Far upper right, little circle with you in it.

Tap that, shows your availability, etc etc.

Tap menu from there - you can sign out, and get to settings.

The only way I know how to prevent apps from auto-starting is if your phone is rooted. If yours is, let me know and I can help with that.

Welcome to the forums! :)
Thank you that did it, was able to disable automatic sign in and i've signed out now and killed it from task manager. Phew this was getting right up my nose, thanks

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
TBH I think Skype for Android has improved since MS bought it, one thing video calls are now no longer restricted to select handsets and carriers, which is good. And Skype for Linux has really improved recently as well, it's actually stable now.

No, it hasn't. Wouldn't run on Mint 14. Either the mike would work or the speakers. Not both at the same time. Wasn't the computer, either. Unlike Windows, there isn't an "Oldversion" easily available.

Speaking of which, we could use an "Oldversion" for Android. Just in case some developer "updates" all the extras in a program and you don't like it.
Especially if you bought the app.

Upvote 0
No, it hasn't. Wouldn't run on Mint 14. Either the mike would work or the speakers. Not both at the same time. Wasn't the computer, either. Unlike Windows, there isn't an "Oldversion" easily available.

I'm using the latest version of Skype with Mint 13 Maya LTS on a Lenovo laptop, and it seems to be fine, audio is ok and it's stable.

However when you do have an issue, it does show a serious problem with proprietary software. Probably the only people who can fix it are Microsoft.

I found the old version 2.x of Skype for Linux would often crash seemingly at random.

EDIT

There never was a version 3.x for Linux, it suddenly seemed jumped to 4.x...and that's when I found it was more stable with Ubuntu or Mint.

Upvote 0
I can barely talk about this app while containing my rage. Why in all that is holy do they kick you out of the call screen when you put the phone to your ear? There is no in app button that I can find to get back into the current call. If you are calling someone who doesn't pick up, you're stuck. You can't do anything. The only thing you can do is sign-out of the app. If the person has voice mail, fine it'll pick up and you can get into the call, but my grandparents don't. It just rings and rings and there is no way to make it stop..
hitting the call button just tries to make two calls at once which hacks the matrix and everything just goes to crap. Even sign-out won't make the phone stop dialing.. yes i just did this. I had to restart my phone.

Upvote 0
Skype worked very well in Ubuntu 11.04. Did not change any computer components or peripherals. Everything else worked in Mint. So it had to be Skype. What's his face from MS thinks Linux is a cancer anyway.

Has anyone tried Viber since they went to computer app? They don't have Linux yet.

Viber might be a possibility, of course all your contacts must using Viber as well. It says "free calling" is that United States only?...and not China?

I keep on hearing great things about Google Voice, except for one problem,...United States only. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones