1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

skype for an old kitkat phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Palmerston, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Palmerston

Palmerston Lurker

Does anyone know if it's possible to get skype running on my old samsung S4 mini GT i9195? It runs kitkat 4.4.2 and can't be upgraded, as far as I know. I've tried installing several different versions of the skype app,
    but they won't let me sign in to my skype account. Am I wasting my time, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Palmerston

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what do you mean...they won't let you sign in? what happens when you try? if skype can run on your phone, you should be good to go.

3. Dierdre215

Dierdre215 Lurker

I think that you can find somenthing.

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Huh?????

5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

The last version of Skype that supports Android 4 was released over four years ago, if that's what you're using it's possible they've blocked versions that old from working.

Edit: they have updated a legacy version of Skype for Android 4 a couple times, recent version from 2019 is here.

6. svim

svim Extreme Android User

It's not just the Skype app version you're going to have a problem with, it's the online servers Microsoft uses to manage and maintain the actual Skype service that are a factor too. You can't install the latest version of the Skype app on a KitKat device, there are just too many hardware and software compatibility issues involved; and then there's the issue where the online Skype service itself has imposed limitations on how far back it will support older versions of their app.
    You might try to use the web interface instead of the app, but take into consideration that any KitKat web browser app you're using will also be very outdated too.
    https://www.skype.com/en/

7. Palmerston

Palmerston Lurker

Thanks to all of you who replied - I'm giving up - It doesn't work and that's that, I've spent enough time messing about with it. The official Microsoft Skype site [https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12041/what-is-the-latest-version-of-skype-on-each-platform] says

Android Phone and tablet - Skype for Android 4.0.4 to 5.1 version 8.15.0.440
    Skype Lite version 1.89.0.1

But that's just plain wrong. Neither of them work, they install ok, but they won't sign in - you just get a grey blank screen.Thanks for nothing Microsoft!

Never mind, I'll just stick with skype for desktop, which works fine for me.

thanks again, Palmerston