• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

skype for an old kitkat phone?

Palmerston

Lurker
Oct 24, 2021
Does anyone know if it's possible to get skype running on my old samsung S4 mini GT i9195? It runs kitkat 4.4.2 and can't be upgraded, as far as I know. I've tried installing several different versions of the skype app,
but they won't let me sign in to my skype account. Am I wasting my time, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Palmerston

The last version of Skype that supports Android 4 was released over four years ago, if that's what you're using it's possible they've blocked versions that old from working.

Edit: they have updated a legacy version of Skype for Android 4 a couple times, recent version from 2019 is here.

Upvote 0
It's not just the Skype app version you're going to have a problem with, it's the online servers Microsoft uses to manage and maintain the actual Skype service that are a factor too. You can't install the latest version of the Skype app on a KitKat device, there are just too many hardware and software compatibility issues involved; and then there's the issue where the online Skype service itself has imposed limitations on how far back it will support older versions of their app.
You might try to use the web interface instead of the app, but take into consideration that any KitKat web browser app you're using will also be very outdated too.
https://www.skype.com/en/

Upvote 0
Thanks to all of you who replied - I'm giving up - It doesn't work and that's that, I've spent enough time messing about with it. The official Microsoft Skype site [https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12041/what-is-the-latest-version-of-skype-on-each-platform] says

Android Phone and tablet - Skype for Android 4.0.4 to 5.1 version 8.15.0.440
Skype Lite version 1.89.0.1

But that's just plain wrong. Neither of them work, they install ok, but they won't sign in - you just get a grey blank screen.Thanks for nothing Microsoft!

Never mind, I'll just stick with skype for desktop, which works fine for me.

thanks again, Palmerston

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running kitkat 4.4.2
I've been running Skype version 8.15.0.440 for years without any issues and recently unable to login anymore, it allows me to enter credentials and seems like its attempting to log in with spinning circle but keeps spinning and never logs in.
The only way i can currently log in is on a browser, either Firefox or Chrome by browsing to the following skype login page
https://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-web/
But before entering your credentials, ensure that the browser is set to "desktop" mode in the settings
If you attempt to log in without enabling "desktop" mode you will be diverted to the Play store to install the Skype app
On Firefox you should be able to log in without any warnings about connection security but for some reason on the Chrome browser i was prompted with messages stating that my connection wasn't secure when i know it actually is so i have proceeded and successfully logged in.
I guess Google prefer users to use the app instead of a browser log in method, which skype officially offers on multiple devices that is able to run a browser so it's an alternative to installing an app.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running kitkat 4.4.2
I've been running Skype version 8.15.0.440 for years without any issues and recently unable to login anymore, it allows me to enter credentials and seems like its attempting to log in with spinning circle but keeps spinning and never logs in.
The only way i can currently log in is on a browser, either Firefox or Chrome by browsing to the following skype login page
Make video calls right from your browser | Skype 
But before entering your credentials, ensure that the browser is set to "desktop" mode in the settings
If you attempt to log in without enabling "desktop" mode you will be diverted to the Play store to install the Skype app
On Firefox you should be able to log in without any warnings about connection security but for some reason on the Chrome browser i was prompted with messages stating that my connection wasn't secure when i know it actually is so i have proceeded and successfully logged in.
I guess Google prefer users to use the app instead of a browser log in method, which skype officially offers on multiple devices that is able to run a browser so it's an alternative to installing an app.

Good luck!
Yes same thing here. How did you logged in with chrome cause mine telling me not secure too??!!!

Upvote 0
You could simply use the Skype website. And speaking of websites: You should be using the Puffin Cloud Browser, as it's the only browser (that I'm aware of) which still gets security updates on your version of Android. That's especially important because your Android version is so old that it no longer receives security updates. You don't need a browser without security updates, on top of an operating system (Android 4.4 KitKat) without security updates!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones