• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Skype on GT-I9003

Hi, I am currently based in UAE and there are draconian internet blocks here by the local telecomms provider........... just about everything good for Europeans is blocked, including Skype (costs them profits). However if you have Skype already loaded you can use it - but you CAN'T access the Skype site (or forums) to download the software.

I had Skype (downloaded from the Skype site) on my I9003 before coming out here and it worked fine, but lost it after my phone crashed and I had to re-flash. I downloaded Skype for Android from the marketplace but it simply does not work properly - drops calls IF it ever connects. The Skype version was rock solid.

I wonder if it is possible for someone on here to download the files for me and either provide a non-Skype link, or email them. I don't know if this is technically feasible, perhaps the phone MUST be connected to the Skype site?

I do know that I'm stuffed without Skype as right now my family are scattered between South America and Cambodia............ and I could do without the monster phone bills!

Any advice gratefully received.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones