• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype on HTC Desire

I have just received the HTC Desire from Three. It was supposed to come pre-loaded with Skype, Planet 3, Spotify, etc. but true to form nada! Phoned them up and they sent me a text link to download Skype which I did and I then set up my account. So far so good, but then it would not allow me to import any Skype contacts. When you try to search the Skype directory it goes on an endless search. I phoned them back up and 'eventually' I was told that although Skype is now downloadable they are still having some teething problems which should be ironed out in the next week (waiting and baited breath comes to mind), hence the reason I cannot access the Skype directory.

Later I went to the local Three shop and the girl there who is always very helpful and quite knowledgeable phoned her husband (works for Three) who also confirmed that Skype is not working correctly as he had the same problem, but confirmed that he downloaded some 3rd party app from Android which works Skype fine.

She told me that the HTC Desire Three phones with all the pre-loads on will not be rolled out until June. The ones everyone are receiving now are directly from HTC with nothing pre-loaded.

I'm off to South Africa in June and was hoping my Skype would be working OK so that I can link in with wi-fi and make cheap calls back home on an evening, but maybe not at this rate.

Regards
bb

Upvote 0
Worth noting that you are almost certainly better off with the vanilla handset that you have received. The customised handsets from 3 are always a nuisance: they add code to make the phones prefer the 3 network over their 2G roaming partners, which in my experience causes problems. Additionally, the custom s/w means that updates are often not forthcoming. I had a Three Nokia e65, which had some appalling bugs that got fixed after several months on the standard versions of the phone. There was not a single update for the 3 version during the phone's working life. In fact I don't think it was ever updated.

I actually checked that I would be getting an unbranded Desire before purchase and if mine is branded when it arrives, it will be going back.

Alan

She told me that the HTC Desire Three phones with all the pre-loads on will not be rolled out until June. The ones everyone are receiving now are directly from HTC with nothing pre-loaded.

Upvote 0
I have just got my Desire about a week ago from Three UK, fortunately it seems to be a non three branded firmware. I can get onto planet three via my browser by I cant see the skype app for download on there. I called customer services and they were no use whatsoover. Is there definately a three uk version of skype that I can use on my handset ??

Upvote 0
I have just got my Desire about a week ago from Three UK, fortunately it seems to be a non three branded firmware. I can get onto planet three via my browser by I cant see the skype app for download on there. I called customer services and they were no use whatsoover. Is there definately a three uk version of skype that I can use on my handset ??[/Q]

just type skype in the market? i did i found a skype app but its restricted because im on vodafone,
maybe you can't get it coz its unbranded?? i am not too sure

Upvote 0
I have just got my Desire about a week ago from Three UK, fortunately it seems to be a non three branded firmware. I can get onto planet three via my browser by I cant see the skype app for download on there. I called customer services and they were no use whatsoover. Is there definately a three uk version of skype that I can use on my handset ??

Try this one.
Skype on 3 v0.9.0.9 Application for Android | Communication

Reactions: bigr1979
Upvote 0
sckc23- i tried that link you sent, that was just what i was after thanks :) ...

i have installed it but it wont allow me to log in, looks like it doesnt want to work on the Desire I guess, has anyone else managed to get it working ?

I know I can use Fring etc but thats not the same, on three it uses a free phone call and I get free skype to skype calls, if i use fring or something it will cane my 3g connection and im on that 500mb "unlimited internet" so it would eat too much data.

Upvote 0
sckc23- i tried that link you sent, that was just what i was after thanks :) ...

i have installed it but it wont allow me to log in, looks like it doesnt want to work on the Desire I guess, has anyone else managed to get it working ?

I know I can use Fring etc but thats not the same, on three it uses a free phone call and I get free skype to skype calls, if i use fring or something it will cane my 3g connection and im on that 500mb "unlimited internet" so it would eat too much data.

Sorry mate. i had my skype from xda as well but i thought its the same as the one in the android market. glad you managed to find it in the end=)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones