1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Skype question - "real" calling via Wifi

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ppzhao, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ppzhao

ppzhao Newbie
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Hi. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from Verizon and have terrible reception in my apartment. I just started a job which I may work from home one day a week. I want to get a $3 per month plan with Skype for unlimited calling in USA with "normal" phones, with a dedicated Skype number. If I could make and receive calls from/to that number while in my apartment via Wifi, I'd be happy.

According to this FAQ, I can't do that - it won't receive calls and when I try to send a call it'll go through Verizon to place a "normal" call instead of going through Skype and my home wifi.
    https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA...ceive-calls-using-skype-on-my-verizon-android

Here're my questions:
    1. Is there a work-around, so I can send and receive calls to my Skype phone number via Wifi?
    2. If not, can I use my old Verizon Android phone (Motorola Droid 2) and dedicate it to that instead?

Thanks,
    --Paul.

Advertisement

2. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    Why not try the free solution via Google Voice - you already have it via your Google account.

Just get yourself a number. Then install the Hangouts extension in chrome. Then you can send and receive calls on your computer or any chrome browser you install the Hangouts extension to using that Google voice number. Additionally, when you are away you can make and receive those calls to your Google Voice number on your phone (as long as you are signed out of hangouts extension on your computer).

Additionally you get free long distance in the USA (and maybe Canada)

www.google.com/voice

3. ppzhao

ppzhao Newbie
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    I currently have Google voice installed on my Android. Questions on it:

1. On making calls, I know there's an option to call using Google Voice. Does it go through the wifi when I use that option?
    2. On receiving calls to Google Voice number, how do I tell it to pick up using the Google Voice app on my phone via wifi, instead of just redirecting to an alternative number?

4. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    Google Voice can use data only and not minutes. But not by default.

On your phone, GV will be the man in the middle and call the number you are calling and your phone. That will use minutes.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115063?hl=en

However, if you make or receive calls through an app like Groove IP or Talkatone, it'll use data only. You can even do an all data trick with Skype if you still want to use that. Have calls to GV forward to your Skype number. When someone calls using your GV number, it forwards to Skype and uses data only when answered.

To not have it ring other phones it is easiest to go into Google Voice on a computer and adjust your settings there. There, under Phones just make sure only your phone is checked so it rings your phone. Unless you want to use that Google Chat option for calls via Hangouts on a computer.

5. davidchsw

davidchsw Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009