• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

westbros

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
I am considering buying the Galaxy Note 8.0 as my first tablet. One of its uses will be Skype. It occurred to me that I am likely to use Skype in landscape mode rather than portrait, and this will mean that the camera is either off to the left or right of the screen. Does this have any effect on how I will look on Skype? What I mean is, will it look as though I am not looking at the camera and therefore not at the person I am talking to?

My guess is that it depends on how far you have it for your head. For example, I have a 17" laptop, and it barely ever looks like i am looking right at the camera unless I am actually focused on the camera. This issue gets worse the closer I am to my computer. However, someone that I regularly chat with has a 13" laptop, and it always looks like they are looking right in the camera, simply because the screen is smaller, so their focus is always closer to the camera.

So, if you have the tablet far enough away from yourself, it won't make a difference, whereas if you hold it very close to yourself, you might have to make a conscious effort to look into the camera when you are talking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones