1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Skype stuck as default dialer for speed dial widgets

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by billrosenblatt, Apr 15, 2016.

1. billrosenblatt

None

Nov 11, 2010
    Samsung Galaxy S6 running Android 6.0.1 on VZW.

I use third party one-touch phone dial widgets, such as SpeedDial - so that I have a screenful of icons that dial the numbers. I went abroad last week and somehow Skype took over as the dialer app for these widgets, instead of the standard phone dialer. This was fine while in Europe (cheaper to make calls back to the US). But now I'm back in the US and the SpeedDial app is stuck using Skype as the dialer. No matter what I do, I can't get it to use the standard phone dialer.

I try uninstalling Skype, touching a dial widget, and it says "application not found." I tried using a few different speed dial widgets (besides SpeedDial) and they *all had the same problem*. I tried uninstalling Skype, rebooting the phone, and reinstalling it again. The speed dial widget said "application not found" again. Then I fired up Skype and logged in. Sure enough, when I tried the SpeedDial widget, it then used Skype for dialing.

A previous thread suggested "clearing defaults" in Application Manager under Skype, but there is no Clear Defaults button in there.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I spent an hour on tech support chat with Skype and they weren't able to help. I get the idea that Skype set some variable deep within the OS and the only way to fix it is to do a factory reset of the phone, which I really, really don't want to have to do.

Thanks,

- bill.

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Uninstall Skype, remove your widgets and start from scratch. Hopefully all will reset itself. If not, you may need to do a factory reset.

3. John Ferrillo

John Ferrillo Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2016
    Male
    Just experienced this incredibly annoying glitch the last 24 hours, after updating to the newest Android OS. The solution involved wiping the whole slate clean- uninstalling both skype and SpeedDial and erasing all widgets- and then installing the latest version of SpeedDial and creating new speedDial widgets. Spiffy program, and now running as before. Not that bad a fix, really...