• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype Update (don't get excited)

CharlzO

Android Expert
Apr 2, 2011
Just a heads up for anyone remotely interested.. Just updated the new OFFICIAL Skype update from the market (figured hey, why not, what could it hurt).

It removes the Video option from contacts on the TB now (and I imagine other unsupported devices), so you don't get false hope, I guess.

Just passing it along.

I'm new to Skype and I've had my Tbolt (1st Android) for 3 weeks. I installed Skype and the video works great. I used it a few times but I had to reset my phone due to other problems. When reinstalling Skype, I noticed there was 4 different versions; generic, Verizon Mobile, Skype for au & vodafone. Just search on the Android market. I used the generic and it works. I don't know if the Verizon version works or not. Also if you google skype android, you can go to the Skype Android page that says "Now with video". I'm not contesting your info, this is just my experience. TIFWIW (Take it for what it's worth).:)
BTW: With the generic version, if you hit the "help" button it asks if you're on Verizon. If you say yes, it asks you to download the Verizon version, then tells you it doesn't support video.:thinking:

Markdoc
HTC extended battery
and loving it

Upvote 0
I'm new to Skype and I've had my Tbolt (1st Android) for 3 weeks. I installed Skype and the video works great. I used it a few times but I had to reset my phone due to other problems. When reinstalling Skype, I noticed there was 4 different versions; generic, Verizon Mobile, Skype for au & vodafone. Just search on the Android market. I used the generic and it works. I don't know if the Verizon version works or not. Also if you google skype android, you can go to the Skype Android page that says "Now with video". I'm not contesting your info, this is just my experience. TIFWIW (Take it for what it's worth).:)
BTW: With the generic version, if you hit the "help" button it asks if you're on Verizon. If you say yes, it asks you to download the Verizon version, then tells you it doesn't support video.:thinking:

Markdoc
HTC extended battery
and loving it

Are you currently stock/rooted and if stock, are you on the new update, or still prior? I'm on the latest update (which I knew would kill my video, sadly), so that might be part of it? I'll keep looking though.

EDIT: No matter what way I try it, I still got nuttin. Going to skype directly, the mobile page it directs you to says "Not available for your phone". No way around that page. Market's Skype version is the only one it shows, no other options. Tried all the apk's that people have listed, and they all end up getting back to the one I'm seeing now. I use it for chat still, voice calls. Just hoping for an updated cracked video.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones