1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Skype v1.0.0.983 3g support for all

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by AQAA, Apr 22, 2011.

1. AQAA

AQAA Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Did everyone see this?

Until now many US Skype Android users had to use a modified Skype 3g version to make 3g calls, as the released version only worked on wifi.

The new version now has 3g calls officially supported.

Very nice indeed.

Advertisement

2. AQAA

AQAA Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    LOL tested and working 100%

Now here is the deal, you can get a Skype incoming number with voice mail and unlimited Skypeout for $60 per year.
    I have used this plan for 4 years as my primary phone and saved bundles.

So for about an extra $5 per month, unlimited outgoing calls on 3g for your Android phone, with incoming Skype calls.
    If you choose only Skypeout it will be an extra $29 per year or about $3 per month.

Very nice and Skype has no echo or other weird problems like a lot of the other solutions.

3. rwinvt

rwinvt Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm surprised I haven't seen much more mention of this here- particularly since we Virgin/Optimus folk seem particularly cheap-- umm...frugal.:)

I keep checking my minutes-- turned off WI-fi just to be sure this was real. So far-- I've used 5 minutes of my 300- from the day I got it and just made some quick test calls--and several more 20 minute plus calls on Skype.

I keep expecting to hear an announcement that VM has either disabled it or raised the rent-- $25 a month for VM plus $5 a month Skype contract for phone, data , and messaging sounds too good to be true.

I have a Google voice number and Google chat, but don't seem to need to add them to the equation. The only "drawback" is getting people to call the Skype number to talk and use the VM cell number for messaging.

4. AQAA

AQAA Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Only major problem I can see with the whole idea is the p2p network nature of Skype.
    It requires constant 3g use as your phone becomes a pier in the p2p network and will be serving connections, thus it does use a lot of battery.

For some reason I doubt Sprint/VM will be able to support this type of networking on their already taxed system.

But then again people seem to like the Google Voice with pbx numbers and all that trouble more so than Skype.
    I like Skype it has served me well for years at home using dedicated Skype embedded IP phones.
    Never liked using the PC for Skype.

5. rwinvt

rwinvt Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    I can live with the battery issue- I can always plug in- car, work, home, or cafe. If I'm out in the woods, I can use my 300 minutes-- except out in the woods I probably won't have any VM signal at all so it won't matter.

I'm concerned with whether VM can live with it!

It's the 300 minutes that's problematic - I'm not just being frugal- I really can't afford to go $40 right now.

I was looking into to the Google Voice PBX solution when the Skype 3G became available, so I never got down to the bloody details. I understand the PBX part isn't free anymore, but I don't know what it does cost- or exactly how much trouble.

6. Too Many Secre

None

Mar 15, 2011
    So I still don't see a way to retrieve voice mails in Skype. This is the one disappointment I've had moving from an iPhone. Skype, I just want to listen to my messages, that really seems do-able!

7. rwinvt

rwinvt Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Assuming you have a "skype to go" number-- you call that and press the * key, and your pin. For some inscrutable reason, the voice mail implementation of Skype is pretty crappy. I think you can only check new messages by caling the to go number-- if you check from a computer runnig skype at work, and then want to replay a message and call your skype to go number from a phone-- cell, landline, whatever, you can't replay it.

My home router based skype phone can't seem to keep track of new messages at all - the light is always blinking even after I've checked them.

Don't know what the problem is-- "I want to listen to my messages" does seem doable-- what's the point of voice mail if you can't play your messages without being an electronics engineer?

8. lou61166

lou61166 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    PC Tech Owner Affordable computer repair.
    New Jersey
    What do you want for dirt cheap voip phone service,this is why i don't mind spending the extra 17 dollars a month for 1200 min.

9. AQAA

AQAA Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Yeah, the voicemail is not working on the Skype for Android and that is a real pain.
    Skype have been very slow developing the app, it has taken over a year to get to this point.

Lou is right, if you want 100% performance it is best to fork over the $ and stick with Sprint/VM.

Personally I prefer using Skype because my home phone is Skype, it makes it very convenient to take the home phone with you on the road.

Still wondering how the wireless providers are going to react to Skypes decision to open this up, it may be another case of them starting to beat the monopoly drum.

10. kc3

kc3 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    US
    Oh wow, I didn't even realize it didn't require WIFI anymore :D That's awesome!

11. hiddenpenguin

hiddenpenguin Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    I have registered my phone on Skype so i can call my Skype To Go numbers from my mobile, but every time i use it, i get a message before the call goes through telling me that my phone is not registered and i have to enter my number and PIN again, all the while being charged.

Skype says this is a phone/network issue and it is down to me not having caller ID switched on. I do not believe them, as I have never switched it off, and don't know if you can on an Optimus M.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.