1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Skype video call competitors

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dm33, Jul 11, 2011.

1. dm33

dm33 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Any opinion on alternatives for video calling on the Thunderbolt. I had been very happily using video calling w Skype on the Thunderbolt until this supposedly great update which made Skype no longer work.

Anyone using other services such as Qik, Fring, etc?

Advertisement

2. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Have not tried them, but oovoo and yahoo messenger are both supposed to work and be suitable replacements. Skype is decent, but I always figured its biggest strength was is ubiquity rather than technical superiority. I never liked the fact that all its default settings were set for maximum intrusiveness (launch and login on boot, close to tray instead of full exit when clicking the 'x', etc.). But it did work. I plan to try yahoo since my wife and I already have accounts. (I don't think there is anyone else I like enough to video chat with, lol).

3. SeekerOfTheWay

SeekerOfTheWay Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Bealls
    Florida
    Tango works ok. I'm still waiting for Skype though.

4. Shhh

Shhh Lurker
    None

May 21, 2011
    Yahoo works with the front facing camera, which is a huge plus! I too lost skype with recent update, but loaded yahoo on both t-bolt and laptop and it works great. It even auto rotates. As noted though it's not as common as skype. I'll go back to skype if someone fixes it for that reason...

5. cbj5259

cbj5259 Member
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    law enforcement
    PA
    I use qik and it works great. Tried tango and it had a terrible feedback sound. I recently found out that qik is now owned by Skype.

6. Gnoop

Gnoop Member
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Yahoo works for me and is correctly using the front camera on the TBolt, unlike my WiFi-only Streak 5, where it uses the rear camera. I can't really try Qik or Fring as they don't have PC clients.

7. WuBoy

WuBoy Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Male
    Tango. There was an issue with feedback during TBolt to TBolt calls, but that's been solved.

8. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Gingerbread ROM broke yahoo messenger. The front facing camera no longer works. Seems to be a common problem per the reviews on the market--only Froyo ROMs (including the stock Thunderbolt ROM) seem to work. When people get their gingerbread upgrade yahoo stops working.

I tried oovoo and it worked great--plus I can almost guarantee there will be less oovoo spam than yahoo, lol.

Why the f%%$ is this so hard? I think this is google's fault--the OS upgrade should not break existing apps--the legacy API's for the cameras should still work exactly the same. I am relatively new to the Android world, and it feels like the Windows 95 era. (For you young punks, Windows 95 was a solid OS for the time, but it broke EVERYTHING. It was the first directx OS, etc. It was a freaking nightmare to get older games to work. And by older I mean one year old.)

9. Gnoop

Gnoop Member
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Given the speed of things, those of us on stock won't have to worry about Gingerbread for a while it seems ;)

I may give Oovoo a try. I'd like to get something on the Streak that the kids can use to talk to grandma and such since Yahoo Messenger's not working correctly on it.