1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Skype video now works on the Atrix (Atrix to PC video calls)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by james27007, Sep 29, 2011.

1. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    Yes you read that right, I am now able to make video calls (and in my opinion the best video call available) between my Atrix and my Galaxy Tab 10.1 AND between my Atrix and my laptop running windows7. I have not tried over 3G yet, but it works on WiFi
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement

2. philharmonik

philharmonik Newbie
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    Sweet!! I've been waiting for this! And this is without any mod? Was there an update for Skype that I have missed?

3. james27007

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Riverside, CA
    No mods of any kind. Skype just updated the app in market this morning. Just update/install the one in market and you are good to go. I did have to enable video calls in the settings on my galaxy tab, but not the Atrix

philharmonik likes this.
  4. madhu_mahi

madhu_mahi Lurker
    None

Oct 3, 2011
    hi, Just yesterday i bought Motorola Atrix after reading all the good reviews and after I heard that skype is now available for Atrix. But when i tried to make a skype call from my Atrix to Pc neither of us could hear properly because of lots n lots opf back ground noise. Is there a particular version of Skype that works well?? please suggest. I upgraded to smart phone only for Skype vedio calling.
    thanks.

5. AussieIndy

AussieIndy Member
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    So how does this work? Would i actually call my self, then answer from the PC?

Are there any instructions available yet?

Thanks,

Chris

6. james27007

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Riverside, CA
    Nope, you create a username (it is best to create a different udername for each device). Then log in, send an "add request" (done in skype contacts) to each username. For example, my Atrix is user1, my tab is user2 and my laptop is user3. On my atrix I log in, then go into contacts and add user2 and then user3. Do the same on the Tab and the laptop. Now each device will show up in the contacts. To connect, your device and the one you are connecting to must be on, and be logged into skype. Then you just connect in the skype app. It has nothing to do with your phone's contacts or calls really. The killer thing is skype to skype calling is free; you have to pay if you want to use skype to call a landline.

7. Noah Malarky

Noah Malarky Lurker
    None

Aug 27, 2011
    So I was really excited to hear about video calling over Skype between my Atrix 4G and PCs. I gave it a whirl over my home wifi network and what I found is that there is still a significant lag in both video and audio.

The worst problem is that the PC on the receiving end of the call from the Atrix gets hit with a lot of white noise and my voice from the phone is totally incomprehensible by the time it gets to the PC user. I tried doing just audio calls, and it had the same problem. When I mute the call from the phone, the noise goes away. Has anyone overcome this problem?

It is not usable for conversation purposes, but I might try using some kind of hands free set on my phone to see if that will help. Although this is not functioning in a useful way, I have high hopes for the future!

By the way, when you download the Skype App, you have to go into settings to enable video chat and it will warn you that it is "not certified for this device" even though it may still work.

8. Sweetmaryanne

Sweetmaryanne Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    I cannot find how to enable the video on Skype on my new atrix. YOu mentioned go into the settings and enable video... How do you do this? is this on the skype settings or phone settings?

thx

9. james27007

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Riverside, CA
    @Noah, I noticed the same thing, it is there and the lag depends on your wifi connection and speed, but at least the lag was smaller than any of the other services (Tango, QIK, Fring) that I have tried. Sucks though

Skype settings. Follow these steps
    1. Once you have Skype open and are signed in, press the phone's menu button
    [​IMG]

2. Press the "settings" option
    [​IMG]

3. Scroll down
    [​IMG]

4. Check the "Enable video calling" check box
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. ocala

ocala Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    I have the enable video calling option checked but when I bring up my wife's contact number that option isn't available.
    When I bring up the online option it doesn't show either of us as online although we are both logged in.
    Is there another step I am missing?

11. james27007

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Riverside, CA
    try a call from your Atrix to your PC, then see if the video option pops up. Other than that, I do not know.

12. ocala

ocala Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    PC doesn't have a camera.
    The only online contact is the test site and the enable video call feature is there. Calling that site everything is fine. Video momentarily pops up then goes away. Doing that I know it's working but it's something with the contact. Just not sure what.