1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Slap me if need be...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Addicted, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Addicted

Addicted Member
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    Sorry for this in advance... My TBolt should be here tomorrow and the first thing I want to do is get root. Did my Dinc2 so I'm not a stranger to the revolutionary method... only thing I can't figure out is what is the mr2 ruu? Where and what is it? All I remember doing on the Dinc was running the exe and then flashing a ROM, don't recall anything about any other file. If I root, flash a recovery, can I just flash a ROM right off?

Advertisement

2. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010

Links to the ruu is in the above sticky as well as a rooting guide.

Oh yeah, *SLAP*
    :)

3. Addicted

Addicted Member
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    I found info about it but can't find a link to DL it... and do I need it?

4. Addicted

Addicted Member
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    Kind of discouraged... watched the tutorial on how to root with no data wipe it seems like a dozen times and can't see where to get that ZIP file that is flashed last. And the more I read on this the more I feel like I'm missing something. The Dinc2 was simple... dirt simple. Was hoping this would be the same way. Am about 30 seconds from saying to hell with it all and keeping the Dinc2 and saving the TBolt for a BU. Can someone PLEASE tell me what I need and only what i need without cluttering up 70 different posts with 40 dozen terms and steps that I don't care about when all I want to do is put a custom ROM on this thing? What do I need aside from The Revolutionary tool do I need or am I making this more difficult than possible. I apologize for the frustration but like I said, the Eris and Dinc2 were a cake walk and I picked the TBolt because (I thought) it would be an easy ROOT.

5. xeno2011

xeno2011 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    This post here really breaks it down well, and provides links to the things you need to root:

[RS Approved] REVOLUTIONARY-The 5 minutes or less ROOT without data loss!!!

Here's a simple guide:

1. Install HTC fastboot drivers on computer
    2. Power off phone. Hold down power button and volume down at same time and go into hboot. Write down the version number of hboot that you have (1.04 or 1.05, should be in upper left corner).
    3. Power off, take out battery and get serial number.
    4. Download Revolutionary Root and enter the information they ask for to get your beta key.
    5. Follow from step 3 on the above guide and you should be ok

Seems like a lot of work, but it took me about 10 minutes total.

The link to the superuser file that is flashed last is in the above linked guide, as well as the rest of what you will need.

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    not sure why you were having trouble finding the info.

go to this thread: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/418539-thunderbolt-root-unroot-thread.html

note that is says this:
    "special note: the minor OTA to firmware number 2.11.605.9 patches the exploit used by revolutionary. several users have reported being able to downgrade to 2.11.605.5 simply by running an RUU for that firmware,despite an s-on hboot wich would normally prevent you from going backwards in version numbers. PG05IMG and .EXE files for this version are available in poat 4."

scroll to post 4. you will see links for PG05IMG(install in hboot) and .exe files for the firmware you need to downgrade to(2.11.605.5). pick one or the other and download,wichever method seems easier to you.

also linked in the root/unroot thread: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/353591-how-some-root-terminology.html where you can find info on flashing files in hbootin post 3.

the .exe file is simply downloaded,then run as administrator on your PC. follow the onscreen directions on when to plug in your phone.

last and not least,if your phone comes with 2.11.605.5 or numerically lower(.3 or .0 or whatever) then you dont need to do anything other than run revolutionary.

hope that helps. :)