• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sleep Paralysis

It can be a panic situation, for sure. I wouldn't know what causes my supposed apnea, I'm an average size guy, etc. But I tend to do better when I sleep on my side.

From your picture, I wouldn't have said that you were suffering for the same reason as my dad!

When I told my wife about this thread, she was so happy... having thought that there weren't that many people who suffered from this!

I'd never even heard of it till I met her... so any info that I get elsewhere is good in helping me to understand what she goes through... obviously she tells me, but I'm getting other people's take on it now! :)

Upvote 0
About 4 months ago I started to have a problem with sleep Paralysis. I usually experience it about once every three days and it is the worst feeling in the world. It always starts out of as a normal dream and then it turns into a lucid dream. This is where things go bad. My dream starts to fall apart and I end up trapped in-between being awake and asleep. My body is still sleeping but my mind is awake. I end up trying to scream which my wife hears and then she wakes me up. I hate going to bed every night wondering if this is the night its going to happen. Just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem and know of any ways to help wake up.

I had this happen repeatedly when I was in high school, 15-16. But I was trying to lucid dream. I did, and I would wake up screaming. It wasn't very restful and I got so sleep deprived I had to stop trying to have lucid dreams. Now I just count my breaths to fall asleep.

Upvote 0
Also, hallucinations used to be a big factor, but are less now.
Care to share what you hallucinated about? Only if you don't mind.

I too am fascinated by sleep/dream related stuff but it's only once I got over my fear of sleep paralysis that I started researching it - I was too freaked out about it to want to even think about it during the day. Now I can remain calm through it even when my chest starts feeling like the air is being squeezed out of it. It gets a bit worrying but I'm too used to it now.

I've only ever had one lucid dream and it was amazingly weird because it was an inception type dream within a dream. I realised the level 2 dream was a dream and woke up from it into what I thought was real life. I only realised it was level 1 when I woke up out of that too.

I wish I could have a more controlled lucid dream.

Upvote 0
Care to share what you hallucinated about? Only if you don't mind.

Eh, never anything of concern on a per incident basis. Just.. stuff. People, figures, things..

On a related note - at least one incident of that was tied to me falling asleep..ish..with my eyes slightly open.

So, what I dreamed and saw intertwined, as did my conscious and unconsciousness.

I think.

Which made for a very weird experience, but.. an understandable one. Probably not the ..scary unexplained definition of sleep-paralysis.. or hallucinations caused by it - but probably perceived by many in such a state to be exactly that.

If that made sense..

Upvote 0
Some good info in there mate! My wife suffers from it... also something she refers to as "night terrors" - similar to nightmares but, accoring to her, infinately worse. I wondered if, when she refers to terrors, she means the experience of sleep paralysis and the frightening side of it all!

My dad suffers from sleep apnea... though it's to do with him being quite a "large" gentleman... his doctor gave him a machine (like a pump with a breathing mask) that "forces" oxygen though his airways, so he doesn't stop breathing.

From what I am aware - and I may be wrong - night terrors, I have experienced with my son when he was little, from what I can gather (read up about it when it happened) its when the child has a bad nightmare, but APPEARS awake but is in a total panic and seems unaware you are there, sort of push you away but scream for you to come back kind of thing, its like they...........well in a way it is a bit like the opposite of how we say the sleep paralysis feels, we APPEAR asleep but we are awake, and yet the night terrors you appear awake but seemingly you are still asleep in your nightmare.

The sleep paralysis - I experience
The sleep apnea = don't even want to think about
The lucid dreams - how weird, but no, I dont think I am ever aware that I am actually asleep and dreaming, I dream the most weird dreams and in the dream it seems perfectly normal, I never feel that something isnt right, yet on waking its like "are you having a laugh"
I have to say about 90% of my dreams I am being chased, and I am running through houses and buildings and up through attics and into the next house to get away from whoever is chasing me. My dreams are pretty much always about being hunted.......so maybe thats why I tend to experience this stuff - talking/walking/paralysis.

BTW I looked at the painting, one of those wiki links showed it, funnily enough, when I am in the sleep paralysis I always do feel someone(thing) is present - MAYBE thats the weight that we feel dragging us down giving me that sensation.

Whoever mentioned getting your wife to wake you (sorry cant get back through the messages) but yeah, like I said earlier like wading through tar...isnt it like that when you so desperately feel like you are hitting out at them to wake you, or trying to call out but your voice seems so muted...its like my mouth is clamped shut and I am sort of muffled, its only the last 2 times I have been able to cry out, the first time apparently was like some unearthly wail that scared the crap out of my hubby, and the 2nd time I was shouting my dad and that alerted him, dunno why I was shouting my dad though? Maybe that was part of the dream I was leaving, but I didnt remember the dream in the a.m just the paralysis.

Upvote 0
Eh, never anything of concern on a per incident basis. Just.. stuff. People, figures, things..

On a related note - at least one incident of that was tied to me falling asleep..ish..with my eyes slightly open.

So, what I dreamed and saw intertwined, as did my conscious and unconsciousness.

I think.

Which made for a very weird experience, but.. an understandable one. Probably not the ..scary unexplained definition of sleep-paralysis.. or hallucinations caused by it - but probably perceived by many in such a state to be exactly that.

If that made sense..

Yeah I used to think I was seeing things, I remember being home alone once when my mum and dad were away and as I was falling asleep I was aware of an old guy, but to be perfectly honest I've never attributed this to a ghost, cos I actually see alot of things as I am coming out of sleep/experiencing the sleep paralysis, I've grabbed for bunches of balloons, I've gone to grab something at the side of the bed and the last time it happened I flinched away from something over the bed....something BAD...but I think its the sort of limbo between concious and unconcious.

Upvote 0
So last night I had the usual sleep Paralysis but when I realized I was dreaming and tried to wake up i had a very brief out of body experience. In between my dream and my sleep Paralysis I was floating back into my bedroom and I saw myself and my wife laying in bed, it was very strange and has never happened before but only lasted a couple seconds.

Upvote 0
So last night I had the usual sleep Paralysis but when I realized I was dreaming and tried to wake up i had a very brief out of body experience. In between my dream and my sleep Paralysis I was floating back into my bedroom and I saw myself and my wife laying in bed, it was very strange and has never happened before but only lasted a couple seconds.

Sweet! I'd like to try that on for size.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones