• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slight AOSP 9.2. instability issues

Eaglerulez

Jan 3, 2011
I updated my Hero to AOSP 9.2 Froyo about a month and half ago. Rooting has made my phone so much quicker and just overall more usable and I'm really enjoying my experience so far.

However, there are a few minor things that I have been having issues with, and I was just curious if anybody had any solutions.

1) Sometimes when I text handcent randomly closes. This isn't that big of a deal, but it sucks when it happens after writing a long text or something similar. Sometimes the app just keeps closing after only writing a few words and I have to restart my phone in order for it to work well again.

2) The camera is very inconsistent. When I just boot up the phone, the camera can take pictures without a hitch, however when it is on for a little while it just takes a picture, and then when it is time to display the picture, the screen turn blacks and the camera crashes. I don't take pictures all of the time so it isn't that big of a deal to me, but it sucks that the camera doesn't work for the few times that I do want to take pictures.

3) Despite me overclocking my phone with oveclock widget at its max setting, texting gets laggy and kind of a pain to use.

4) Random apps like Pandora seem to crash all of the time which gets annoying.

I don't really use my phone for much other than texting, making calls, and listening to music when I workout via pandora. Rooting has made my experience with all of these things much better in comparison to stock. At the same time though, I'm just curious if there's anything that I can do to improve the stability of the phone.

As for the apps that I have installed there's
Overclock widget
Pandora
Launcher Pro
Jewels
Random facts
Fandango
Youmail
ROM Manager
Handcent
Google Apps

There's not a lot of things running in the background I make share to clear my texting threads and call logs often, so I'm curious as to why things are crashing and slowing down because I'm really making sure that I don't stress this phone.

Maybe backing up your apps with Titanium Backup and then formatting and wiping your Sprint HTC Hero and reflashing the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM would help. When you first flashed it, were you sure to wipe data, cache, and Dalvik cache, along with formatting boot, system, cache, and data in the Partitions menu?

The Pandora app might be having trouble if you set the idle speed of your CPU too low with SetCPU. I have heard of issues like that before.

Upvote 0
Maybe backing up your apps with Titanium Backup and then formatting and wiping your Sprint HTC Hero and reflashing the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM would help. When you first flashed it, were you sure to wipe data, cache, and Dalvik cache, along with formatting boot, system, cache, and data in the Partitions menu?

The Pandora app might be having trouble if you set the idle speed of your CPU too low with SetCPU. I have heard of issues like that before.

When I originally flashed to this ROM, I basically just did a nandroid of the stock sense ROM, and so I didn't do any of the cache wiping or anything.

I don't mean to be a pain, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to doing these things, would it be possible for me to get a step by step process on how to do all of these things? I just don't want to mess up my phone by accidentally erasing something.

Upvote 0
So are you saying you flashed the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM over top of your stock Android 2.1 with Sense UI ROM? Yeah, I could see where that would cause some issues.

First, be sure to make a Nandroid of your current setup just in case you need to go back. Before you proceed, download Titanium Backup from the Android Market and select which apps and data you want saved to your microSD card. Take a look at this thread about setting up the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM: http://androidforums.com/sprint-hero-all-things-root/233990-setting-up-aosp.html . I would also say, when in recovery, go to the Partitions menu and format boot, data, cache, and system, and then flash the ROM and the GApps. After you flash a fresh copy of the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM and the GApps, you can download Titanium Backup again and restore your apps and data.

Upvote 0
When I originally flashed to this ROM, I basically just did a nandroid of the stock sense ROM, and so I didn't do any of the cache wiping or anything.

I don't mean to be a pain, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to doing these things, would it be possible for me to get a step by step process on how to do all of these things? I just don't want to mess up my phone by accidentally erasing something.

If you're going to reflash a rom and go through the wipes and app setup again, I highly recommend the latest gingerbread version found here:
[ROM][HTC][CM7][COOKIES] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.2 (Gingerbread) [02/22/2011] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
So are you saying you flashed the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM over top of your stock Android 2.1 with Sense UI ROM? Yeah, I could see where that would cause some issues.

First, be sure to make a Nandroid of your current setup just in case you need to go back. Before you proceed, download Titanium Backup from the Android Market and select which apps and data you want saved to your microSD card. Take a look at this thread about setting up the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM: http://androidforums.com/sprint-hero-all-things-root/233990-setting-up-aosp.html . I would also say, when in recovery, go to the Partitions menu and format boot, data, cache, and system, and then flash the ROM and the GApps. After you flash a fresh copy of the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM and the GApps, you can download Titanium Backup again and restore your apps and data.

Thanks for the help. I will try doing that tonight, because now all of my widgets won't load.

Is the gingerbread ROM stable?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I will try doing that tonight, because now all of my widgets won't load.

Is the gingerbread ROM stable?

I would say it is a good daily driver ROM. Mostly everything works great.

There are a few quirks here and there with the GPS, and native Wi-Fi tethering is broken. However, you can use apps from the Android Market, like Wi-Fi Tether or Barnacle instead.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys. I just formatted all of the things that were listed when I reflashed and hopefully it will help with my stability. Do I need to do that whenever I flash a new ROM? If I switch between nandroids do I have to wipe all of the caches and everything each time? Also, if I do the full factory reset wipe, what will it do? Will it just clear the data on my internal memory, or will it clear out the SD card too? Also will I be able to use clockwork recovery and flash a different ROM after a factory reset?

I have a feeling that doing a full factory reset may do a world of good. Because I have a lot of random data floating around on this phone. If I just kill it and start from scratch it may make things run even better. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
Factory Reset only affects your handset's internal memory, not your microSD card. You should do the full wipe like I said if you are flashing a new ROM, but if it is just a nightly update of the same ROM you can get away with just wiping cache and Dalvik cache and flashing over top of the old ROM.

You do not have to wipe anything really, between Nandroids, because ClockworkMod Recovery and Amon RA Recovery both do a full wipe automatically. I sometimes still do a wipe anyway though because old habits die hard. ClockworkMod Recovery remains on your handset even after a Factory Reset, so you can go ahead and flash a new ROM straight away. I hope this information helps you.

Reactions: littlewhiteowl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones